1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I've reached that age when..."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Class of '93 here, and we're among the older parents in our kids' school. Our youngest daughter's BFF's mom is 36. We didn't have kids until we were 40.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If only Muzak hadn’t died.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mixed bag ... but I have numerous witnesses who would tell you that many of my favorites have no lyrics.

Then again, IMO, musicians and bands actually know music. Some things with lyrics are fun and they're worth putting on your iPhone to play in your vehicle ... but calling it great music is a stretch.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I ate at a Braum's the other day where the music was jazzy instrumentals of popular hits. Hard to tell if I'm "that age" yet, but the songs didn't suck. Next time I go, I'll take notes and bring a PXP.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My 16-year-old thinks pretty much every teacher or other adult he interacts with is at least 60 (and he often goes much higher in his thought than that). Most are probably in their 40s or early 50s. Some are in their 30s.

I guess we all probably had a hard time guessing ages as a kid, but it can be pretty disheartening.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know where I heard it, but there is a good piano instrumental cover of "Where is My Mind."

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I regularly turn YouTube videos on from various ambience creators my TV such as beach, coffee house, book store, etc. I'd honestly rather just have that playing and go on about my business.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I attended CCAC and MSU art schools in the 80s, so this might not be the current thought on the matter. Some of the studio instructors had a "no lyrics" rule for music played during class.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ahem ... you ate at a Braum's, eliminating all doubt as re: the "at that age" thing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted