1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Scott piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's a nit... how?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't going to say anything yesterday--because what do I care about spelling--but now that I see Plaschke is a new member, we gotta get his name spelled right. Sorry DDown. Not Plascke...it's Plaschke.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And it was "Her Blue Haven," not Heaven.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We blame the desk.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Boy, there sure are a lot of nitpicking weasels around here when it comes to my awful spelling.

EYE. CANT. EFFIN. SPEL.

PERRIOD.

:D

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's very hot...but I'm already taken. 8)

7. Dogboy

Dogboy New Member

Early in Hyde's career at the Herald he was assigned to write a news story about the Heat, which at that time was a franchise in name only, without players or a place to play, receiving approval from the city of Miami on their plans for their first home, the Miami Arena. The last thing the city had to sign off on was the number of parking spaces. It was basically a Metro story, but Sports was asked to handle it and Hyde, as a very junior person on the staff, got the assignment.

Ninety-nine-point-nine-nine-nine percent of reporters would have written a just-the-facts, inverted-pyramid story. Hyde did, too, but he topped it with one of the best ledes I've ever read, considering the dullness of the topic.

His lede: "Spaces: the final frontier."

If we didn't already know Hyde was destined for greater things, we sure did then.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Great line, for sure, but if the team had no players yet, then the parking spaces were hardly the final frontier.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Read that again. It said the parking spaces were the last thing the city had to approve in the plans for the new arena. In that context, spaces were indeed the final frontier.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Meh.

Now if he had them assigning a handicap space for the gimper, THAT would have been something.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

DAVE HYDE?!? Man, the price of a 1-bedroom condo in here is really going to hit the roof now. ;)

Seriously, Dave, if you're still looking in, superlative piece of work.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Dave, don't be a stranger, can't hurt to have another quality writer chime in from time to time.
    And if you make the sojourn north for the Bills-Phins game in Dec, I'll buy wings at the Anchor Bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted