1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, Goodell shouldn't do it. An owners group should do it. Surprised they don't have an owners committee to deal with non-player stuff.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So it's a recoup of legal fees from the Elliot case. Did they recoup those fees from Kraft too or did the Patriots not "join" the Brady lawsuit the same way the Cowboys did?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How could they do that? Just create an "owners group" and fine him? How could that possibly stand up in any court? How would it even get to a court, he'd just say F You I'll pay nothing.

5. DanOregon

They already have multiple owners committees and just added one called the Chairmans committee made up of the chairs of various committees.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s a franchise not an independent business operating in an open market. It’s. McDonald’s. A 2 billion dollar one, but a franchise none the less. Read the franchise agreement Jeruh. Owners don’t own shares of NFL, Inc. Or do they? And if they do there are 32 stockholders or members. All are created equal.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is his job. It is, in fact, precisely why the owners hire a commissioner.

8. DanOregon

I realize his job is to take the hits - just figured it would carry more weight if it came from the owners themselves, than making it look like the third act of the Jerry v. Roger thing.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They pay the guy a pretty insane amount of money to make decisions and hand out fines and suspensions. If a group of them decided to be their own kangaroo court it would be pretty silly to pay Goodell more than they pay any of their players.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, though some in the media are playing it as personal, this is part of the commissioner's job and there's no way Goodell would be doing it without the support of the other owners.

(Not that I'd be shocked if they hung him out to dry if it somehow bites them in the ass.)

Draft saved Draft deleted