1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've been trying to tell people that for years. It's so nice to see most of the board come around.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't know any NFL owners except Bob Kraft and oddly Jones. By know I mean covered in enough situations and long enough to form what I think (could be wrong) a well-formed judgment. Based on that. I think Kraft is now thinking about Jones the way we've all had to think about a friend sooner or later: "Dude, you're getting a little far out there for me. Maybe bring it in a bit."

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bit more detail in here.

OTL: Jones threatens to sue NFL over Goodell

A lawyer who has close ties to the NFL praised Boies' skill as a lawyer to OTL but said that his hiring was likely a "scare tactic" because there doesn't appear to be an obvious legal challenge to Goodell's contract negotiations, a process that Jones voted in support of earlier in the year. Jones "probably knows he doesn't have a strong claim," the lawyer said.

Sources told Outside the Lines that Jones is one of "four or five owners" who believe Goodell should not continue as commissioner. Another half-dozen owners were called "fence-sitters" by one source -- the exact group that Jones wants Boies to target.

"If he amasses 12 or 15 people, how does Roger survive something like that?" an executive asked. "I don't know how he'd be able to continue if that many owners express a lack of confidence in him."

A person who spoke recently with Goodell said the commissioner is "furious" about Jones' and other owners' insistence that his next contract's compensation should be more performance-based, including incentives that would allow him to be paid at roughly the same level of his current deal. "He feels as if the owners have made a lot of money and he should be compensated accordingly," the source said. "The incentives thing really angers him."

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The thought that Goodell had anything to do with the owners making that money is laughable. Right place right time. Things are about to change in sports, would you want him at the helm?

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If Goodell is done should Taggyboo come back?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Looks like Rog is suddenly finding out he’s labor not management

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder what Stephen thinks of dad’s increasingly bizarre behavior?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If these idiots manage to turn this into a giant war it will be the most entertaining thing ever. Seriously, burn it to the ground, guys. I'm begging.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Imagine how crazy Jerruh is gonna get when his mind goes. He's going to make Al Davis and his overhead projector look downright dignified. Brain cavity full of Johnnie Walker sloshing around.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Touch ‘em all ...

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

King Roger is finally learning he’s violated the first law of the jungle: Never shit where you eat.

Chef2 and doctorquant like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It might take this group of owners decades to agree on a replacement for Goodell. Which is why I think he stays.

Draft saved Draft deleted