1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At least Trump might be too busy to own a franchise this time.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The owners agreed to an unofficial uncapped year and Washington AND Dallas dumped some salary. The NFL dinged 2 teams: Redskins and Dallas.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Instead of suspending Elliott, I think a stiffer penalty in his eyes would be forcing him to stop wearing children’s clothes to show off his abs.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

More like the CEO of a besieged company facing a shareholder uprising. He’ll weather this because the relatively sane owners retain a slim majority.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That is well played.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I remembered it as some vague thing as to whether a rule would be enforced or not, and the Skins (and Cowboys) tried it anyway.

I don't remember what made them think they could possibly get away with it, but I bet both owners have a long memory of that episode.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For some reason, this opening to the movie Duplicity came to mind.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They didn’t try to get away with anything, though. They did what the rules allowed them to do for that year. The other owners, who were all polite and genteel and had some “fair play” code, didn’t try to game the system and got mad after the fact that someone did. A bunch of billionaire rubes, really.

That book America’s Game devoted a lot of attention to Jones’ entry in the league and the culture shock that ensued. He had a meeting early on with one of the network guys, who said they’ve always enjoyed making deals with the NFL and their working relationship. Jones’ reaction was along the lines of “the last time someone on the other side complimented my negotiator, I changed negotiators.”

We’re seeing that side again.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't remember exactly, and I don't feel like looking it up, but the NFL made those sanctions against the Redskins and Cowboys like either a week before the draft or a week before free agency started. The timing was horrendous.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jones had a legitimate argument then. I don't see that now. He's just throwing a tantrum because this time it was one of his players who was punished. At least he is being honest about it. That's a step up from what Kraft did, claiming he would support whatever action the league took, then changed threw a fit when Brady was suspended.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I agree with you LTL and Poin.

I thought the whole thing was grey at best and totally shitty.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When did it become SOP to go to court to fight league-imposed sanctions on individual players? I thought that's what franchise agreements and collective bargaining were for.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted