1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The greatest indictment of trump and the 2016 election is that the NFL rejected him as owner. It’s like Kevin Spacey’s NAMBLA membership was revoked.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How does Jerry have standing to sue on that ground?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the part I don't understand. I can see a player or the union filing lawsuits regarding the punishment. Hell, I could even see Jones saying the league is treating his team unfairly by its punishment of the player. But that isn't what he is threatening here. He is threatening to sue if they give the commissioner a new deal. He isn't on that committee. At most, he should have one vote. How does he have a right to sue over that?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Jerrah hasn't gone to court, has he? He's just threatening to, conceivably in the hope that the mere threat of action will nudge a few more to his way of thinking.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He's apparently triggered.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As long as the bills are paid, David Boies can take any issue through a few rounds.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. doctorquant

Seriously. I'm not on any such committees now, but in my day I can remember discussing some issue or another and hearing someone say, "But we could get sued!" like that was some over-arching consideration. Of course we could get sued. But that's true no matter what we do or don't do.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct. He has retained Boies and is threatening to sue, but I don't think anything has been filed yet. I just don't understand how that is a viable threat.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is there evidence that this is motivated by the Elliot suspension? Is it possible that he thinks (like most of you) that Goodell has not been good enough at his job to deserve an extension? What's the motivation of the other owners who are with him?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The original Times scoop wrote it (but not sourced):

The dispute between Jones and Goodell stems from Jones’s anger over the commissioner’s suspending of Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys’ star running back, who was accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. Goodell gave Elliott a six-game suspension, though no charges were filed in the case.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  11. doctorquant

Could be a camel's straw kind of thing, though.

ON EDIT: What the fuck does that mean? A "proverbial straw" kind of thing, THAT'S what I meant to say.

Big Circus likes this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Or, I'd want to see attribution. The timing is strange if that's it, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted