1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the crew Jerry rolls with is badmouthing the league on all sorts of things and now that he is in the HOF he doesn't need to hold his tongue. There is a reason Al Davis was his closest ally among owners.
    Kind of drafting on another thread - if an owner or owner(s) were called out for sexual harassment, would they suffer any repercussions?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I still remember how dumb the union was for agreeing to let go of any complaints of collusion between the owners for that uncapped year. The fact that the two teams were punished for exceeding the cap even though there wasn't supposed to be a cap showed that the league had colluded to keep salaries down. Yet, the courts ruled that the union forfeited any complaints because there was a clause in the contract saying that they agreed to let any collusion complaints go.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, there's this:

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jenkins is a good writer, but she fails to grasp the power dynamic here. If Jones was just fucking with Goodell, the other owners would let him run with it. But he's threatening to sue THEM. They will fight back and fight back hard. It's not a question of how Jones monetized his franchise. Think NFL owners feel gratitude to anyone? Pro tip: They never have and never will.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She writes about a previous time the NFL sued him and he sued them back.

7. Michael_ Gee

Yeah, I know. That indicates the owners have no fear of Jones' lawsuits. He has no grounds for suing them at all, and the process of deposition (what has he said to Elliott about the suspension, fer instance) would be a disaster for him. Is there any evidence Jones has some super candidate for commissioner in mind to replace Goodell? It's the old saying, you can't beat somebody with nobody.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jerry’s neither the richest or poorest owner but they are all wealthy. And they are not intimidated by the threats of lawsuita

10. Michael_ Gee

I believe Kroenke is the richest.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have this feeling -- or at least want to believe -- the other owners and the league office have decided to play this for the humor within rather than dignify Jerrah's anger.

Oh yeah! We're going to shut down our most valuable franchise then!

Owners have their own nuclear option for dealing with Jerry Jones

I am Roger The King. Give me a minion devoted solely to cleaning me after I relieve myself!

Roger Goodell is asking for a $50M salary, private plane and health insurance for life, per report

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Switzer?

Draft saved Draft deleted