1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft ain't gonna be mounting this charge together.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

Jones didn't know that Goodell was changing his mind. And he didn't know that Goodell was facing pressure, both from a handful of league executives who felt Elliott should be suspended and from owners wanting Jones to be humbled. Kraft had called Goodell in the summer and, referring to the Elliott case, told the commissioner, "My guy got four games for footballs and there's still nothing on this?"

Big strain of what a bunch of incompetent money-grubbers the league office is too. It sounds a lot like administrative bloat at a university, only at much higher salaries.

Many owners concluded that former Pepsi executive Dawn Hudson, whom Goodell hired as the league's chief marketing officer, was providing analysis that was too optimistic. At an October 2016 league meeting in Houston, Hudson and Lockhart presented a slide that showed different variables measuring the popularity of the major sports leagues. At the top was the NFL. Various others, including Major League Soccer, were labeled "up-and-coming." At the bottom, under the category of "eroding," was the NBA, which had just signed a $24 billion TV deal with ESPN and TNT and was coming off its most watched Finals since 1998.

"Do you buy this bulls--t?" one owner said to another.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jones is preventing the accomplishment of his own objective. There are plenty of reasons why the owners should dump Goodell, the first being it'd be very popular with football fans, but now he's backed them into a corner where they now regard Jones as a bigger threat to the business than Goodell's incompetence.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly my point earlier. Jones made Goodell's job more secure with his tactics.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rest assured that Zeke will soon do something stupid again to help Goodell’s case for suspending him.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We’re seeing a repeat of the Al Davis endgame. It’s not gonna be pretty.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The good news: Jerry's kid is way more competent than Al's. And has a much better haircut.

7. LongTimeListener

Yeah. Story even notes Al’s influence on Jerrah w/r/t the league office.

The major difference is of course the league could take or leave the Raiders as a business entity.

8. LongTimeListener

Those investigators in the league office are busy with something!

“Jennifer, congratulations on the winning ... the wedding. Now, you know he’s with a black girl tonight, don’t you?”

https://theblast.com/jerry-jones-racial-video/

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So much of the dynamic between Jones and the other owners smacks of the old junior-high dilemma -- if you tell the bully he's a douche, will you have five of your buddies ready to stand with you? Because if you don't, you're going to leave with a black eye.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, all of them are zillionaires with the power and egos to match. Paul Allen could have JerryWorld bulldozed to the ground with Jerry underneath it and do it out of petty cash. Think of this more like the mob. Jerry has always made money for his partners, so they put up with his bullshit. Now, he's rocking the boat in a way that threatens the money. They will attempt to reason it out behind the scenes, but if Jones doesn't back off, his metaphorical NFL funeral will, as the old Jimmy Breslin line says, will have flower displays spelling out, "Sorry it had to come to this."

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Maybe I'm naive, but I can't believe someone so smart can be so stupid

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He thinks he’s bullet proof.

Draft saved Draft deleted