1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining in on postgame prayers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Then I'm sure you have no problem being part of the story as a reporter...

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When I see teams pray, that has nothing to do with me and I get out of their way. If I ever was asked to join, I would say, "Thank you, but this is the team's time. I'm not part of the team so carry on."

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Exactly, I'd be more concerned about the professional aspect of it -- the appearance of homerism.

I not nearly as concerned with the religious implications of it.

For the record: I wouldn't lead the team in a cheer after the game, either.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just wondering, king, but are you religious?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's a question: what if you hear something in the prayer that is newsworthy, an insight or anecdote, is it okay to use it? I.E. In their team prayer following the win the team thanked x, y, or z.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd ask about it, at least. Like if they said, "And please watch over Jimmy and his family, who are hurting right now..."
    Could be an injury, could be something serious like a wreck or a family illness or death. Definitely something worth asking about.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Born and raised Cathlolic - went to Catholic schools for 13 years. Go to church - more non-demoninational Christian than Catholic - every now and then. Have same beliefs now as I did then. Why?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, nothing. you ruined my theory with your answer ... i just thought maybe religious folks looked at this topic differently than non religious folks.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't judge or talk down to me.

I was in the small locker room, waiting for him to finish talking to the players. I knew them all and felt comfortable around them. The coach asked me to pray. I did.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sorry!

I'm not exactly a hard-core Christian or anything like that. I wouldn't attend a team dinner if invited, I wouldn't attend one of those preseason team powwows and I wouldn't join them in a team prayer. It's the team's time and I'm not part of the team.

11. How does the size of the locker room or whether you knew them all or felt comfortable around them allow you such a grotesque breach of ethics?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Small Southern towns, like my hometown, are a lot different about these things, you know. What's "a grotesque breach of ethics" in one place wouldn't be given a second thought in the kind of place I think 3BF is talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted