1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining in on postgame prayers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yes.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ann Coulter says prayer in school is ok, as is joining in when you're reporting.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. lono

lono Active Member

Nice job on the story, C-I.

You might be Plain-Dealer material, after all. ;)

And, oh by the way, these are the kinds of issues-oriented stories newspapers should be doing more of.

Want to get readers?

Stories that make them think help.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm as questioning as the next guy, Kaylee.

But you don't know that. You aren't THAT all-knowing.

-------------------------------------------------

About 15 years ago, my older brother and sister joined me to visit my parents in Florida for their 50th anniversary. The first afternoon, we were driving up Route 1 to a restaurant. And a group of cheerleaders were stopping at each car at a red light, asking for contributions to fight heart disease.

My parents grumbled about everybody trying to get money everywhere you turn. My brother grumbled about the kids clogging up traffic. My sister grumbled about the cheerleaders probably being forced to do it by their advisor.

We drove on for about 30 seconds in silence. And finally, I said quietly, "Damn, it's a good thing they weren't asking for contributions for handguns."

I hope everyone makes the connection.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i will pray for all y'all.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You mean kids never heard of the F-word before Dick Cheney said it?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I did it as a 22-year-old and regretted it. It was a prayer among three players I was interviewing around midfield after a game and I was invited to join. Their friend had accidentally blown his head off about three days before that.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. i've never been asked to join in on a prayer. i must have a "i hate the baby jesus" aura to me.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much about that one, LJB.
    A couple of times I've been interviewing ministers, and at the end, they wanted to say a prayer, essentially for my story to turn out good and for whatever do-good project they were working on to be successful. I bowed my head and was respectful (would have been impolite otherwise), but let them do the talking. That seemed OK, if a little weird.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

STLIrish, it was weird and I'm not proud of it, but I have to say it was pretty powerful. That's my opinion, anyway. Three weeping black kids and a white guy holding hands at the 50, kneeling in the mud. I've long forgotten much bigger events I covered but I still think about those boys.

11. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Finally! Thank you, Zeke!

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When in doubt, showing humanity is often the wise choice. I would think very few would have a problem with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted