1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist arrested, charged for Jan. 6 coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Mar 1, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He may well have a case for beating this. I’m comfortable with that getting sorted out by an actual court case though and not just his say-so. (Apparently he will have sufficient resources for his defense, since I imagine this is becoming a cause celebre for the right.)

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Azrael likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I couldn't find an update. May have got lost in the shuffle of House Speakers.

Seems like the Senate Press Gallery is in charge of all the Congressional press credentials. Membership - U.S. Senate Daily Press

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sure is interesting how quickly someone like that can take up the sanctity of journalism.

garrow, Deskgrunt50 and wicked like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As this thing has unfolded over the past year, I think one of the reasons Blaze Media brought him on board was to a) Give him some extra credibility by having an organization behind him, rather than being on his own as a freelancer; and b) To give him some extra legal backing with their in-house legal team.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Doubt he was charged for coverage.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm guessing their motivations did not include accurate or responsible journalism.
    He thinks Jan. 6 was an "event" that included as many leftists as Trumpists.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Does Blaze have an in-house legal team? If they do they should’ve advised Beck against hiring Whitlock.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The feds don’t normally bring charges unless they have a near-airtight case. Even if it’s just for misdemeanors.

wicked likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think falls more on marketing than legal.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I also doubt he’s a legitimate journalist. But in some circles, suggesting January 6 has been overblown is the fifth gospel.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard him suggest it was not a big deal, or that it wasn't a dark day. He's not whitewashing or downplaying it. He's trying to logically explain it. There is a difference.

His biggest thing, especially once he got swept up in it, is that it appears there were a lot of weird little things from that day that don't add up. If you read his account of the day, he pointed some of it out right away. Like Trump supposedly inciting the crowd, but the audio system at the rally was absolute garbage and it was hard to hear anything, so how many in the crowd even heard what he said? Or some of the interactions between protestors who appeared to be well-prepared and organized. Or, as he's gotten further down the rabbit hole with the video, cameras that were focused on a spot for weeks suddenly pivoting to a different angle right when something important is happening in that spot.
    What he's tried to do is go back, review video — thousands of hours of it over the past year, from hundreds of cameras — and connect the dots on those anomalies. He's said some conspiracy theories were easy to dismiss once you see something on video from a couple of different cameras. Other theories gain more credence. Some narratives on both sides get blown apart.
    No one else has been either able or willing or motivated enough to take on the gigantic task of sorting through that mountain of video evidence. He's obviously got all three of those things going for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted