1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's all fine and good, but again: Do people want to really have the kind of all-in conversation it'll take? Guns in hands are the problem. Lanza. Holmes. That cop in Cincy. Suicidal people - gun suicides outstrip homicides. They are not good for Americans. We have to start with a strong postulate and have a plan from there.

Any plan that does not seriously discuss how and why we arm law enforcement is a plan that is doomed to fail.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Despite the Gov. saying so on live TV?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And now a report circulating the car was found at the Roanoke airport.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Gov. Terry McAuliffe said police are looking for ex-employee Lester Lee Flanagan.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They didn't say there was no pursuit. They said the Va State Police was not in pursuit.

The governor is also saying there is/was a pursuit.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Correct. Thanks for the clarification. My bad.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Suspect is Vester, not Lester, Flanagan, per CBS.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're just realizing this? You can't live your life haunted by the possibilities, but we all should know that regardless of how sheltered we think we are, how cautious we are in our day-to-day routines, no one knows what the next minute might bring.

10. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guy on the left.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Really trivial but this is why I never forget what Bryant Gumbel said in SI piece in 1988. He always kept a dark suit in his office in case the news became more serious from when he got into work. I always keep a black suit, white shirt and a dark tie in my locker just in case. Have used it only three times in 10 years but still good to have.

It's still August so you have some anchors in summer wear trying to report a serious story. Yes, it's trivial, I know. Once a pro, always a critic.

Draft saved Draft deleted