1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Where's $25,000 prove-it-to-me-denier-guy?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again, for me, it's more nuanced than that.

I don't think people need to see the video to understand that gun violence is violent.

I do think they need to see the video to understand what a victim is up against, and that playing Rambo isn't necessarily going to save your ass.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, I see.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What was on that cover that millions of people hadn't already seen on the Internet and TV?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You somehow expected the New York Daily News to not sensationalize something? Been going on for decades. It's news. Because it happened on live TV, it was bigger news. Here's one person who had no problem with the cover.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yep. Watching a zombie eat someone on AMC = viewing the real-time death of a human being.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Did you enjoy the expression on Alison Parker's face in the third still?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think guns believe they are violent.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Agreed.

At least sign a goddam online petition, too.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Count me as one in favor of repealing the Second Amendment.

However, Greg Howard of Deadspin published an article today that includes the argument that the Second Amendment was intended only to make it legal for "members of a well-regulated militia" to own a firearm, not every citizen. That is something I'd never really considered. I've read over the exact wording several times since seeing that and I'm not sure that's exactly what it says. I'm sure people much smarter than me have debated its exact meaning for years, but to me it reads more that people should have the right to bear arms so they can form a well-regulated militia.

Regardless of the exact meaning, I think it is no longer applicable to current American society and only serves as a crutch to those desperate to hold on to their guns.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

People say it's unAmerican to even consider talking about repealing the second amendment. They say it's unconstitutional. But guess what? We've repealed amendments before. There's a process to it and it's engrained in the fabric of that document.
    To me, if there was enough demand for repealing the second amendment, we might see some action on that front. The constitution makes it f**king difficult to do that though (and rightfully so) but if we ever reach a point in this country where there's enough support for it, I'd be glad.
    It will never happen though.
    And that's kind of the beauty of the constitution honestly. It's the perfect document to change with the times but there needs to be a big enough outcry for that change or it will never happen.
    Sadly, like many here, I'd guess this pissed off a lot of people who will forget about it by Monday and go about their lives until some sick fuck who is already likely planning his big day in the sun tries to one up yesterday's fat fuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted