1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

No one said it would be immediate.

And my pet unicorn's name is Mr. Magicbottom. I'll have you refer to him by name, thank you very much.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hate the Chicago argument.

It's pretty simple. They go to Indiana to get guns. It borders the South Side.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Don't be obtuse. It goes without saying fewer people would die. If they outlawed cars and mandated only public transportation, fewer people would die then, too. It'd also be terrible.

The argument you should try for is: Why should some deaths mean my freedom is gutted?

4. Dick Whitman

That said, like I said at the beginning of the thread, this is the trade-off we've made. The Second Amendment means that we have to accept that the occasional Alison Parker and Adam Ward and 35 other people murdered yesterday around the country are going to get gunned down. The First Amendment means that our virgin eyes will sometimes be subjected to sexist banners. Trade-offs.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And that has what to do with my post?

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not sure why the F-bomb was necessary, but OK.

Man with gun: Bang! (Target dead)

Man with knife: "Hey come over here so I can stab you. Stop running. Get back here."

One seems more difficult than the other.

Now you go.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If gun control was acted on 20 years ago, your made up criminal wouldn't have the guns he has now. Or, at the very least, they would've been a ton harder for him to get.
    But, sure, who gives a shit about mass shootings set to occur in 2035? If it won't eliminate the problem on Day One, I guess we'll just have to be OK with living in a society where going to school or going to work could cost you your life because, you know, MERICA!

8. Dick Whitman

Yes. We have decided we're OK with it. It's a dead letter.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Law-abiding members of society go to Indiana, buy guns and somehow end up killing each other upon their return? What the hell goes on in Indiana?

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Your basic premise was to go to a ridiculous extreme to convey the idea that gun control is akin to losing all personal freedoms. I figured I'd ask why/how the people who made the rights you're arguing are untouchable arrived at that premise regarding the weapons most recently used in recent gun violence.

11. Dick Whitman

No. Criminals go to Indiana, buy guns, and somehow end up killing each other upon their return.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point. As more and more guns are poured into society, more and more of the wrong people are getting their hands on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted