1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The fact it happened on live TV makes it that much bigger.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Like they frequently do in other industrialized Western nations.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Guns and sex sell.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the record, I'm not advocating gun control. That's futile. I mean what I said: We have decided to make this trade off. I mourn the people who died. But there's blood on all our hands, so it's part crocodile tears. If it wasn't them, it would be someone else.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except it didn't happen at the station. It happened at a public tourist plaza.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick normally argues against treating these kind of events like big national news stories.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It should at least be national news. A double murder on live t.v. has high news value. The fact that they were working journalists increases that value.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's unique enough and newsy enough for you to have made 30 posts in an hour about it.

Oh, wait....

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And worse, there's the potential for future copycat crimes like all the theater shootings. I agree with exmediahack that live shots should be reconsidered and used only when necessary.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Two murders on live TV? Yes, that is a big story. It's on the BBC website now.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

YF, I agree that the media will make this a big deal because it hits close to home. Sure, there's some hypocrisy involved, but it's mostly human nature. Of course people are going to be more affected (and respond more emotionally) than they would be if this happened in a setting they were less familiar with.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're here, weighing in.

That's my litmus test.

Draft saved Draft deleted