1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Course Juan's pissed. We all get pissed when somebody calls us on our shit.
    Righteous anger is the coin of the realm on the right. He's playing the martyr, just like Palin and O'Donnell.
    And somebody still calls him a liberal?
    At Fox, he gets to be the house liberal and the house, well, not gonna go there.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought Alan Combs already has that title.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, hardly any tendency of whites toward terrorism. With the exception of the IRA. Or the Red Brigade. Or certain factions of Israelis. Or the Branch Davidians. Or militias strewn all over Idaho and neighboring states. Or various violent anti-abortionists Or the Simbionese Liberation Army. Or Chechnyans...and so on.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But is it wrong for Juan to talk about a visceral reaction? Is that in and of itself racist? is it cause for being fired?

Or is it understandable.

He didn't/doesn't act on it. He didn't call for anyone else to act based on his "feelings".

In fact, just like Shirley Sherrod, he specifically argued against it.

I'm just wondering who would be allowed to harbor these feelings. By NPR's standards, Juan Williams is not entitled to have them & also work at NPR.

Would they cut Daniel Pearl some slack if he had not been murdered? Is Steve Centanni entitled to feel this way, or would it be out of line for him too?

5. YankeeFan

OMG. Why don't you just go and call him a house nigger already?

Are you serious? You've now entered Mark2010 territory.

Juan is a liberal. He's very liberal. And he's written extensively on the civil rights movement.

Your statements go beyond ignorance. They are repugnant and an embarrassment.

And, you have not one bit of evidence to back up your claims. Not one bit.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since 2nd grade when I learned that the British burned down the White House in war of 1812, I get jittery when I hear someone with a British accent.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why are they repugnant? Plenty of folks do quite well by playing the victim.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm shocked that everyone has fallen into their typical political patterns over this particular story. The Pearl/Williams joke was about as funny as a broken dick.

9. YankeeFan

When I was in Belfast with my younger brother we made friends with some locals. One of them gave my brother his hurling stick as a memento of our visit.

He was holding the stick when we called for a cab to take us back to our hotel.

Our cab pulled up, started to pull away, and then stopped again to let us in.

Our driver, a Protestant, explained that Catholic hoodlums used hurling sticks to beat Protestants. He was going to leave until he heard our American accents.

Was he wrong? Was he racist?

My brother and I were "profiled". But I wasn't offended. I understood his reaction.

I don't know if he had ever been beaten by a Catholic, but he was understandably frightened when he saw us standing on the corner with a hurling stick.

10. YankeeFan

He called Juan a house nigger. He just didn't have the guts to type it.

That's repugnant. Don't you agree.

11. YankeeFan

Juan on Hannity now.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah. That was really, really fucked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.