1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, he came close to the line, but you actually typed the word.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Uh. Pretty sure that's exactly what Terrier meant.

Edit: Well, then it's YF's fault for typing the word but not thinking the thought. WTF?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is exactly what Terrier meant.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, I typed the word. I guess I'm Dr. Laura.

Terrier implied it very clear terms. We all know exactly what he meant. He just didn't have the guts to type it.

If I type F*CK. You know what I meant. And you know what Terrior meant.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/22/AR2010102204888.html

Good stuff...

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

YF, everyone knows what Terrier meant. You don't have to explain yourself. Ace posted something briefly (and subsequently took it down) where he stated that you were putting words in Terrier's mouth. Except you didn't. You didn't have to. Everyone gets it.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Colmes isn't black, and he was the "house liberal." Williams is now the "house liberal." Nothing racist about it, and how dare you try to paint a decent poster like Terrier as a racist. I think the issue is with people who think "liberal" is as noxious a term as "nigger."

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Please go back and read Terrior's post again.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I read it just fine, thank you.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You know, I've purposely stayed away from this one because, well, you know.
    But I'm getting messages about it and complaints and what not like, you know, a political thread?
    So maybe I ought to treat it like a political thread?

Not going to just yet but I'm around and on alert. People here say, wow, doesn't it suck, we can't have a political discussion or whatever.

Prove to me you can handle it like adults. If you can't handle it here, how on earth can it be handled in a real political discussion.

As I type this, dooley's post precedes mine (may not be the case when I post). This is to make clear it isn't directed at dooley. He's just the unfortunate one to post right before I came on this here post.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh my god.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Williams committed the cardinal sin of saying something controversial on somebody else's airwaves.

If he'd said the same thing - I take a second glance at people in Muslim garb in airports, but we shouldn't give in to that kind of thinking - during a three-minute radio essay on NPR, he'd still have a job. He says it on FNC and it becomes "NPR liberal is afraid of Mooslims too!!!" on the blogosphere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.