1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

You mean like when he said to zagoshe, and I'm paraphrasing: "We're both assholes, but I'm smarter than you." I'd just like to see some proof of it, is all.

And thanks for the advice. I'll give it full consideration.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is, Juan Williams should have been made to choose one or the other a long time ago. Far too many interlocks in the media world

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

There are 5,028 other posts available at your disposal for your "proof." That should keep you busy. Do you happen to study law? You seem rather humorless.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He was on FOX before he was hired by NPR.

And, do you think the same thing about Howard Fineman, Eugene Robinson, or any of the other folks who appear on MSNBC?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I stand by what I said: I'm smarter than zag.

6. secretariat

What I do for a living is none of your business.

As for your humorless remark, when I see something funny I acknowledge it. Such as your invitation for me to waste my time reading YGBFKM's pablum. HILARIOUS!

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I guess I shouldn't bother inviting you to my new Twitter feed. Fuck!

8. secretariat

This also was funny.

9. YankeeFan

But, he wasn't looking to "get away with" anything.

He answered a question. He discussed how he felt. And he put it in context.

10. secretariat

OK, I really, really hate playing the "If" game, but if Williams were white and had said, "I'm not a bigot, Bill, but when I'm walking down a city street at night and a group of black guys walk up I'm afraid, and if it's a group of white guys, I'm not," NPR wouldn't be justified in firing him?

Personally, I think he knew what he was doing. He knew NPR wanted to get rid of him. And he had no problem giving NPR the ammunition to do it. I feel no empathy for him.

11. YankeeFan

Isn't that pretty much exactly how President Obama described his "typical white person" grandmother? Or how Jesse Jackson described his own reactions.

And, I think it would depend on how he said it. Maybe he would get fired no matter what, but if the context was that we shouldn't stereotype African-Americans and that we need to be careful about our actions, it would be closer to what Juan said.

12. YankeeFan

Oh, and I still think it's nuts to think this was calculated on William's part.

I think Juan just gave an honest answer. Nothing he's done since indicates to me that it was calculated. And no one has produced any evidence that it was planned.

Juan is insulted. I don't think he would set himself up to be called a racist to get NPR to fire him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.