1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I agree with this. If MSNBC had done this, I'd have no problem with it. But the network living off taxpayer money should be more circumspect about appearing partisan.

What Williams said was dumb, but it wasn't outlandishly beyond the pale. Williams honestly admitted a prejudice that, quite frankly, a large portion of our population shares, but few are willing to admit. And it's no secret that folks sharing that view predominate toward one side of the political spectrum. Firing him for that clearly comes off as NPR choosing sides in the political wars. OK for MSNBC to do, but not NPR.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Source?

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Name five people who actually watch or care about NPR.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really wonder what the end game is for those who slobber in agreement that Muslims killed Americans on 9/11. Yeah, some Muslims did. And some Catholics in Poland sold Jews down the river in the Knellschact. So should we hold a trial at Nuremburg for the pope as a representative of a Nazi-sympathizing church that had a part in the killing of six million Jews? Should we ban Muslims from flights, or send troops into mosques, Uzis blazing?

Really, what's the fucking point of wasting time on news channels stating the fucking obvious? Unless you have a darker agenda involving the hundreds of millions of peaceable Muslims.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how you "watch" NPR being that the R stands for RADIO. In DC NPR comes out usually in second or third place in the ratings. People of all persuasions here listen to it, though I'm not among them. That shit puts me to sleep.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And George Bush is to blame for all bad that has happened to us in the past 10 years.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2010/10/21/130713285/npr-terminates-contract-with-juan-williams#more

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

I don't think Juan Williams or Helen Thomas should have been fired and getting worked up over what he or she said is a "forest for the trees" deal.
    I also avoid speaker towers in Olympic parks if I see a white person.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

BTW, while I'm on Juan's side of this whole thing (even though his dumb *very human* admission should have been stifled by his inner editor), he and I are not related. ;)

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This all went down much too quickly for there not to have been some groundwork already laid. I don't think Rupe called Juan yesterday morning and just said, "Sorry to hear about NPR, Juan. Three years, two mil," and Juan said "Deal," and then made the announcement.
    I thought at first NPR was just spinning when they said he had been repeatedly told not to identify himself as an NPR contributor when he appeared on Fox. But it seems more plausible in light of subsequent events.
    It's a classic case of someone under contract to Employer A when Employer B calls and offers more money, exposure, perks, etc. Instead of breaking a contract with Employer A and leaving yourself liable, you break a rule or two and get fired, leaving yourself free to sign on with Employer B. That scheme may not work in other professions, but when Employer B is Fox...
    And to those who consider NPR a liberal henhouse...just last week all NPR employees (even those not involved in news) were told to stay away from the Stewart/Colbert event. No such edict was given for Beckapalooza.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nah, not all of them.

Just a good many of them.

Kissing Big Oil's posterior . . . a Bush tradition, forever.

;D

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd take the deal for half that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.