1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think he should have been fired. But his martyrdom is already reaching absurd levels.

Yes, one Juan Williams firing equals and actually surpasses...well, everything Nixon did, up to and including wanting Jack Anderson dead.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In all fairness, false equivalencies are the name of the game when discussing Muslims.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wish we could get Daniel Pearl's opinion on this.

4. Small Town Guy

Don't worry, Williams will probably soon be comparing his plight to Pearl's.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Here's another question that no one seems to be asking:

Would NPR have been worse off continuing to employ Juan Williams after he had "violated" its odd code against analysts airing their opinions -- about which the outside world seemed to neither know nor care -- or is it worse off now for cleansing itself of such an ethics/rules transgressor?

You trump up a case, try to look pious and expose yourselves, NPR.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These claims of Martyrdom are silly too.

What's the price of your reputation?

Just like Shirley Sherrod, Juan was accused of being racist. And he was called a racist with a very large megaphone. Then he was called crazy.

Juan worked for NPR for 10 years. And he worked for FOX since before he worked for NPR.

But NPR fired Juan without even giving him the courtesy of a face to face meeting.

Yeah, he's landed on his feet at FOX, but he got screwed and defamed by NPR, and I'd be pissed if I were him.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Williams said how he felt and he even qualified it. Not even close to what Thomas did.

When I saw Thomas' quote, I turned to my wife and said, "Oh, she's done..."

I didn't blink when I heard what Williams said.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's because you have a darker agenda and hate all Muslims. What's your fucking endgame?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

NPR is going the way of ACORN. A tough fall for elites -- getting worse by the week.

10. Small Town Guy

So say all those things. They all make sense. But when you say NPR is worse than Nixon then, yes, you are taking your martyrdom too far.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're right. I confess.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You and Jim DeMint.

You wish.

Don't confuse your personal visions with reality.

I know it's popular, and makes you feel good, but still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.