1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knicks-Nuggets megabrawl??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 16, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

That was the rule in Ewing's case, so Stern had no choice, but he does in this case. And let me clarify -- I don't think Stern would give anybody 20 games for what Carmelo did last night, but he certainly won't sit the leading scorer in the league down for 1/4 of the season for this. It was bad, but it wasn't that bad.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Actually, he has quite the stellar career of failing upward.

Next NBA commish, anyone?

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

We'll agree to disagree. I think he's getting 20.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If Kenyon Martin was in the Garden last night, the scene would have been as bad as Ron Artest melee.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nice try, but wrong.

What I said was at least there's an on-ice accountability if a player takes a cheap shot. If Carmelo Anthony has the balls to throw a punch, he should have the balls to stand in and take what he has coming.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sweet Jumping Jesus on a Plutonium-Powered Pogo Stick.

In Professional Sports, There Is No Such Thing As "Running Up The Score." Never, Ever.

In grade school/kids' sports, yes. In high school, sometimes. In college, once in a great great while.

But in professional sports, There Is No Such Thing, and anybody who even breathes a word of it should be tarred and feathered, stripped to the shorts, hung upside down from the nearest goal post, foul pole, or basket support.

Isiah Thomas's Fucking Job is to assemble a team good enough, and coach it well enough, so nobody ever runs the score up on it. (A job at which, incidentally, he has failed catastrophically at every count.) And it's the players' fucking job to play well enough so that nobody ever runs up the score on them, and if they can't do it, well, Fuck Them Too.[/alpacino]

The fucking "unwritten rules" are all fucking bullshit. You know what you should assume, as a professional coach and a professional player?

You should assume that every goddamn minute of every goddamn game, every opposing team you face is going to do every goddamn thing they possibly can to run up the score on you, as high as they possibly can, and if you can't stop them, well you better just take your poor little helpless hopeless ass home and play Ms. Pac-Man or something.

And coaches whining about it after the fact simply reinforces the victim-mentality mindset. "It was so unfair they still had their starters in the game. It was mean, nasty and unsportsmanlike. Boo Hoo."

Don't like it? PLAY BETTER.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just askin for a clarification here but when Melo nailed the Knicks player, did that player fall down trying to get after him or did the punch knock him down?

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

One of the Knicks players used Collins as a springboard to get to 'Melo. His action knocked Collins down, not the punch.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Standing ovation.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Collins fell to the floor, surprised by the punch.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

starman,

i agree with your "no running up the score in pro sports" philosophy, for the most part. i don't think it has anything to do with keeping your starters in during a blowout. in fact, i say it's impossible to "run up the score" in an nba game.

but if you're an nfl coach calling flea-flickers, hook & ladders, and double-reverses with a 31-point lead late in the fourth quarter, you're an asshole running up the score.

Draft saved Draft deleted