1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knicks-Nuggets megabrawl??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 16, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Geez, you are a fucktard.

The barrier keeps the fights from going into the stands. I imagine the NBA would have a lot less trouble with fights going into the crowd if it had a barrier around the entire court.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread sets up the rest of the season nicely.

No horse in this race, but it should be pointed out that while Dye didn't help his argument by saying the NHL has dropped teams, he's absolutely right about the lack of franchise continuity. Nearly half the franchises either didn't exist 15 years ago or were located in different cities.

Ottawa
    Atlanta
    Tampa Bay
    Carolina (fuck you Karmanos)
    Florida
    Nashville
    Columbus
    Minnesota
    Colorado (Quebec)
    Anaheim
    Dallas (Minnesota)
    Phoenix (Winnipeg)

That doesn't even count the teams that have gone bankrupt (Buffalo), suffered thru the ignobility of several inept owners (Islanders) or threatened to move only to find no one wants them (Devils, Penguins). The league is absolutely unsteady, and it's got no one to blame but itself. Fuck you Bettman, you Kevin Spacey wannabe.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

At the same time, if you set the bar at 5 years, I'm guessing the NBA has had more moves.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Defunct and relocated teams: Atlanta Flames • California/Oakland Golden Seals • Cleveland Barons • Colorado Rockies • Hamilton Tigers • Hartford Whalers • Kansas City Scouts • Minnesota North Stars • Montreal Maroons • Montreal Wanderers • New York/Brooklyn Americans • Ottawa Senators (original) • Philadelphia Quakers • Pittsburgh Pirates • Quebec Bulldogs • Quebec Nordiques • St. Louis Eagles • Winnipeg Jets

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How come NHL fights are shorter than NBA ones, and less nasty? It's not just the barrier. Look at tonight's fight. The teams ran from the baseline to center court throwing punches and (presumably) talking shit. A NHL fight takes, on average, sixty seconds. It took Nuggets-Knicks a good ten minutes before relative peace was restored.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/toc/nba/nbadefunct.html

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/toc/mlb/mlbdefunct.html

Nice try Dye.

Also, yes, I've agreed with you since the beginning, the barrier keeps the fights from spilling into the stands which MAKES IT MORE ACCEPTABLE BECAUSE ONLY THOSE IN THE GAME ARE INVOLVED and in danger, if you consider it that.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Hell, why don't you just go back 75 years?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And if littleNate was a problem, why didn't somebody just punt his ass 12 rows up?

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A lot of the fight is posted on the ESPN website. Not sure if this is a D_B, but didn't have time to read the entire thread. Never thought I'd be so happy to view ESPN.com. They also have some post game interviews.
    Personally, if Denver wasn't considering Iverson before tonight, they should now. Cause I think after the Artest problem, the NBA may answer with more than just the standard suspension for throwing a punch.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes, the Brooklyn Dodgers, Minneapolis Lakers and New York Giants will never be able to throw off the taint of moving to the West Coast.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

More fine hockey history:

"As a result, the team announced on March 26, 1997, that they would leave Hartford, eventually deciding to move to Raleigh, North Carolina. It marked one of the few times in American sports history that a team announced that it would leave its current home city without having already selected a new home city."

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As far as teams no longer existing in any form, the NHL has the most recent one, the Cleveland Barons. The NFL had franchises in Dallas and Baltimore fold in the early 1950s. I can't think of the last NBA or major league baseball franchise to just die altogether.

Draft saved Draft deleted