1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

UVa has hardly covered itself in glory over the past couple of decades with regard to violence against women.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not at arrests are created equal. There is being drunk in public and there is threatening a cop and resisting arrest to point where he needed to be tasered. Let's not pretend that happens to "thousands of kids" every weekend.
    Was he suspended by Dom Starsia after the arrest? Or was he made to run stairs or some other bs?

I don't believe that one arrest equals off the team. But if you scream that you're going to kill a cop and resist arrest to the point where you need to be tasered, that's not nothing either. If Starsia never so much as read the arrest report, and simply chalked up reports of heavy drinking to lax players will be lax players, then the Cavs Athletic Dept failed Yeardly Love.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

CLINCH VALLEY, bitches!

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Double Down, I think you underestimate the severity of running stairs. Running stairs is HARD. Especially when you're running UP. Think about it, for your punishment, you have to fight gravity. That has its own LAW, you dig? In that instance he can surely say he fought the law and the law won.

5. That's the kind of context I'm talking about. If it played out like you said, you're absolutely correct. And when I say you're correct, I'm not trying to be condescending and put my stamp of approval on it. It was just my shorthand of saying that I agree with you. Which doesn't give it any more or less credence than it had before. It's just that this is a message board where people offer their thoughts.

But if he was a kid who had no prior incidents, didn't usually drink (I know, doubtful, but it happens) and just couldn't handle his liquor, had straight-A's, teacher's pet, on and on, and then took his medicine, with sincere remorse, for showing really, really bad judgment, then I don't think that it is automatic, in bold for emphasis, that he should have been tossed off the team. And I absolutely don't agree with Lugnuts that one conviction = no more college sports.

Like I said, it's easy to look at it now and say, "The signs were there!" But that's because we know how the story ended and you can't mentally put the genie back in the bottle.

Also, let's not overlook the fact that police officers are not above occasionally provoking people for sport. It doesn't justify the reaction, but that kind of unprofessional button-pushing can at times at least mitigate it.

6. cortez

cortez Member

Wow. Liberals definitely have more fun then

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

According to the Washington Post account, the cop initially suggested he call a friend to take him home! She was going to let him off the hook!

Oh, there was some provoking done. But it wasn't by the cop.

8. Who wrote that report?

I'm not saying the cop necessarily provokes from the outset, and certainly not necessarily in this case. I'm saying that in a lot of volatile situations, they don't exactly take the high road once they smell blood. Do your job. Then STFU. I'm not a fan of baiting for sport. Not that that's what happened in this case.

9. Lugnuts

Dude he plead guilty. He did not dispute anything in the officer's report. He did not try to get it reduced to a lesser charge.

The cop was a 5'3" female. He was a 6'1" male. Do you really find it believable that she would try to provoke him-- especially since no one alleged that?

I don't understand how/why you are attempting to re-try a case where the defendant plead guilty to everything with which he was charged!

10. The part about cops provoking is just a digression. And, like I said, it doesn't excuse the actions.

I am saying that even if he was guilty as hell, which he admitted by pleading guilty, then it is completely reasonable that this could have been a one-time lapse in judgment by a kid of an age when that kind of thing is known to happen. You, in bold type, wonder how it is possible he could still be on the team, as if UVa. has blood on its hands. I am saying it is possible because it is more than possible he had a one-time lapse in judgment that seemed out of character at the time and paid his debt to both society and his coaches, teammates, and university.

I personally would not want to be eternally judged based on my worst moment. No one would.

11. Lugnuts

Getting kicked off a sports team = eternal judgement? WTF?? ;D

I gotta tell ya - 15+ years of covering arrests by these kids - and I'm about near supporting a "draconian" policy.

Where in the Constitution does it say a kid has a right to go to college for free and play sports-- often at the partial expense of the American taxpayer?

I think the kids need to be told the day they sign up -- if you get convicted of a class ___ crime (whatever that standard may be), you're off the team.

When I was in high school, if my grade fell below a B in any class, I was told I'd be off the team. A girl got caught smoking pot (not by the cops) and was kicked off the team.

In college, a basketball star got caught attempting to cheat on a test. He was not only off the team but expelled from school.

These days, a kid can threaten to kill a cop, and nothing?

What has happened to us?

If we are really concerned about violence against women and alcohol abuse on college campuses like we say we are, something needs to change.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Great question that the administrators need to answer. Also, why did he not go through psych evaluation after the incident?

Draft saved Draft deleted