1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The kid who was Tasered at Philly game is on his way to Penn State. Perhaps they should withdraw his acceptance.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of the HarrisActionPlan. That's the way it should be. My high school football coach/AD -- one of the most old-school guys ever -- made a half dozen or so of the best players on the team miss the next game (last game of the season with playoffs on the line) because they made fart noises during a presentation at school. We lost. And no one complained. I mean, a few knuckleheads did, but the majority did not.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Amen to Lugz and Moddy. It's a freakin' privilege to get a scholarship to play sports, to wear that uniform, to attend college. How many kids didn't get into that school because they weren't athletes?

But just repeating my earlier note...this case has nothing to do with sports.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And Ben Roethlisberger was just a 28-year-old fat guy in a small town Georgia bar with his dick out, yes?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This girl wasn't killed because her ex-boyfriend was a lacrosse player. She was killed because he was violent and out of control.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I was AD there and he was an incoming scholarship athlete, I'm damn sure give it some thought. At least his scholarship. Damn fool. "Kid's name, who is going to Penn State in the fall on an athletic scholarship ***" no way.
    But that's another thread.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Didn't ND do that to Randy Moss

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So every kid in your public hs in Ga had 80's or higher in every class or they didn't play sports?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's how many years it takes you to get out of the fourth grade.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And very likely should have been punted out of Charlottesville more than a year ago. The more I think about that, the angrier I get.

Very curious to learn what was on that computer. If it was a threat, this kid should fry.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are levels of felonies as well, but that plan seems just about right.

Driving 86 or I-95 is a felony, I think, but a lot of people do it.

Also, a guy hits a woman once, or tries, he will always hit a woman. That is a HUGE line to cross. Ladies, if he hits you once, he will not only hit you again, but it will be harder the next time.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And it has received national attention, as opposed to your typical college murder, because:

1. We have a 24-hour sports network that covers all aspects of sports, and helps drive the national conversation about a lot of things, not just sports

2. Both play a sport that is a very big deal on the East Coast, where games are regularly attended by thousands of people, and one that is often as much about social status as it is athletic achievement.

3. Sports elevated both to the status of minor celebrities, especially at their high schools, where they were both all-Americans.

4. Huguley was allowed to continue playing lacrosse, and thus attend the University of Virginia for free (the place where he met her and ultimately killed her) despite being arrested and having pleaded guilty to a crime.

5. I don't know a lot of chemistry majors with the rep for being hard-drinking, entitled tough guys -- and as far as I know, that reputation does not exist for chemistry majors anywhere -- but it certainly exists (and is in many cases true) with lacrosse players. This does not mean all lax players are drunks and murderers. But hard drinking and partying, and players who come from wealth and privilege, are a part of lacrosse. Even the biggest lax apologists cannot deny that.

Your larger point is understandable, but c'mon. One public representative for the University of Virginia appears to have murdered another. They knew each other because of sports. And what happened between the two of them affects the lives of hundreds of other athletes in Charlottesville, both this week, and in the future. That's a sports story. And sports is popular. I doubt ChemistryNerds.com gets nearly the traffic we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted