1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

His only defense against frying is that he did not bring a weapon, so premediated could be in question.

Don't worry, Moddy, he is fucked and death might be a decent option.

2. 93Devil

Moddy, does this get the same play if they went to Tech or VCU?

Not trying to be an idiot or a wise ass, but I think the UVA side pumps it up just a little bit. Not much, but some.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't know. I was wondering if the kicking down of the door sort of negates the "he didn't bring a weapon" defense. Based on his entrance, you have to assume he was only there to cause terror and pain. But, you could be right.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

UVa is part of the story because of its national rep. Also at play is the success of the teams and the time of the year. They're both on the cusp of the NCAA tournament and are (or at least were) viable championship contenders.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He damn sure did bring a weapon. They were attached to the ends of his arms. A pair of lethal weapons.

Anyway, it gets a much bigger ride because it is UVA. The sport involved is very prominent there. And very successful. VT has developed a successful track program, that might be an example. VCU has national-level tennis. At UVA, it is lacrosse among sports that aren't the big 2-3.

It is NOT a sports story, as 21 noted. It IS a sport that is driving the coverage.

6. I'm betting the keys to his death sentence are on that computer. I thought I read somewhere he sent her some threatening e-mails.

7. FWIW: Our paper ran the story in the sports section. Surpised me.
    I don't think many people here know that Lacrosse is a sport.

8. Yes it did.

9. 93Devil

I think UVA gives it the push and not the sport. Ask 20 people on the street if UVA has a good baseball team.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Something we actually agree on

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably not a valid comparison now after the CWS appearance. UVA baseball has gained the traction.
    Ask about the basketba *** oh wait. The footba *** oh wait.
    Kidding, Wahoos, kidding. UVA has a top-notch program across the boards. Lacrosse is probably the most prominent because of its sustained success.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

To illustrate Moddy's point about what a big deal lacrosse is in Charlottesville, there has been at least one instance in the past couple of years when the men's lacrosse team and basketball team played on the same day and lacrosse drew the bigger crowd. Virginia easily sells out the stadium of 8,000 for big games against Duke, Hopkins, Syracuse, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted