1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't know if my pops would pass your common sense Heartland test Waylon. But I'll check if he's busy.

2. Double Down

You just love to see liberals brawl, don't you? I'm onto your game, Mike Vick.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Of course I do.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

According to the non-profit that helps domestic violence victims that I help fundraise for, 32% of college students report dating violence by a previous partner, and 21% report violence by a current partner. Shocking numbers.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing something viewed through he prism of women's sports here.

Sports are supposed to empower women (to some degree). I wonder if she felt she could therefore defend herself?

Sports teach you to be stoic when you're hurt. I wonder if that's why she failed to report previous threats (if there were any)?

Maybe none of the above, but it's something to think about. I'll be interested to hear her roommates' testimony about the relationship.

It's bizarre that no timeline has been released yet about what happened earlier that day.

6. Double Down

Wash Post addresses some of what we've been debating here with their latest story, as far as the connection between lacrosse and liquor. Huguley and Love also had to be separated at a party recently by friends.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/05/AR2010050503762.html?hpid=topnews

Nine of the 41 members of the Virginia lax team have been arrested for an alcohol-related incident, and eight of those have come during their Cavalier careers. Much higher than other local lax powers Georgetown and Maryland.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife knows Tiki Barber and Chris Long.

Most sports fans know Ryan Zimmerman and Mark Reynolds.

I could not, and I do not think most people could tell you, how many titles UVA has won in Lax or one player off of those teams.

The football program would shut down if they only had 8,000 at a game.

I think you are way overplaying Lax and its popularity. Maybe in C'ville, but not outside of C'ville.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tune into the national semifinals and final.They had, what, 40-some thousand a couple of years ago (last time I watched).
    I said earlier, as did others, that it isn't in the same strata as the big two. Among the other sports, it ranks way high - particularly in Charlottesville. And U.Va. lacrosse is gigantic in a very big lacrosse community on the eastern seaboard.

No one ever said it was football or basketball.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Screw ups on the Bristol/Pulitzer story notwithstanding, the Washington Post can really report, can't it? That is some damn fine reporting all over the place.

Still my favorite paper in the country.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Why did UVA force Verica to transfer? Groh?

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/state_regional/article/lax_killing_suspect_had_run-ins_with_law_in_fla/55833/

Other run-ins with police and at least one alcohol related.

12. cortez

cortez Member

Decriminalize pot, already.

Draft saved Draft deleted