1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Not only does this have nothing to do with the Huguely case, but Verica is still at UVa and (unfortunately) probably going to open the season as the starter.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he meant the other QB that Groh kicked off for alcohol-related stuff? At least I think that happened at UVA not too long ago. Can't pull the name, though. I hate that.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Peter Lalich.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Big Circus

That was Peter Lalich, who violated his probation and is now in the running for the starting job at Oregon State.

5. JackReacher

Yeah. Lalich. Kid from West Springfield, right? Or somewhere up in NOVA. Anyway....why was he on probation? Alcohol, right? Or pot, maybe.

6. Big Circus

Yeah, that's the one. He was supposed to be the savior of the program. Believe West Springfield is right. He was on probation for booze - there were pot rumors, but that was never proven, although his choice of schools post-UVa doesn't help the cause - and violated the probation with booze.

Alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of Peter Lalich's problems.

7. JackReacher

I get him and Pete Rose (Lynchburg?) confused. Didn't Rose commit to UVA and get dismissed, too? Or maybe VT. I think he ended up at JMU as a DB.

8. Big Circus

Rose was a VT recruit who I believe was selling pot. Think he was from Amherst and was pretty well thought-of as a player.

9. JackReacher

Thank you. Sorry for the minor thread-jack.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nice numbers, but they do need context. I'm sure that 9 of 41 is a very high percentage, but we still need the overall student-body numbers. What percentage of college men in the U.S. have arrest records? If it's 2 percent, it would be good to know that for comparison's sake.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I thought the most interesting sentence in the article was that UVA is saying it will now run a public records search on students every semester.

The way I read it, they mean all students.

It appears UVA did not know about the prior conviction, which happened in a different county. The university has relied on the "honor system" (sort of) for students to report their own arrests. Why in God's name would anybody do that?

The upshot appears to be real change, however. If this really happens, that student judiciary committee is going to be awfully busy.

And since the men's LAX team has elected to play on.... with the Post now uncovering all these prior arrests on the team... will these arrests now result in suspensions and/or going before this university judiciary board?

And will it happen before the tournament?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At the high school level in my district, every time a student is charged, the school admin gets a copy of the charge so that student can be possibly booted off of a team or a club or what not.

I asked a police office today about if this could be done at the university level (this case being a flash point), and he said there is a huge loophole once someone turns 18 about reporting their crimes (this can be a high school senior as well) to schools or universities.

Not sure what the loophole is, but it is just not that simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted