1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I read somewhere today that UVA was actually getting automatic reports from local police when students were arrested. By all accounts, those cases were going through the university disciplinary process.

But this kid was arrested 45 miles away. UVA says it never knew. Hence the idea to run everybody through public records.

It'll be interesting to see if other colleges follow suit.

2. How is that legal?

I'm assuming the kids in your school district are under 18 and therefore are juvys. Since when and where are the cops allowed to name juvenilles, muchless make the reports public? Not in my state.

Tht happens to my kid and he gets kicked off the football team I am suing the shit out of the school and PD.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Actually, it was 70 miles away, but the point is the same: There's no way every college can know the ongoing criminal history of thousands of students.
    I know everybody wants to blame somebody, and there are so many lovely, convenient, catharsis-inducing targets here. (Rich white boys, athletes, lacrosse players, major university, etc.) But it's important to remember this is one disturbed person, and he's to blame.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But if you read the Post article, UVA says it will actually attempt to do just that.

In today's age of Google, US Search, etc., I would think automated courts searches would be easier than ever.

I know I can search my state's court dockets by last name online in a matter of seconds.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not public, but a copy is given to the school alomst immediatly. If a kid assaults another kid over the weekend, or if a student was busted for dealing drugs...

You get the picture.

7. That would be tremendous public policy if anyone with a minor criminal conviction couldn't go to college. Not an overreaction whatsoever.

[​IMG]

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, it would be a step toward fighting degree inflation.

9. Huh?
    I don't understand.
    If it is not public the school can NOT get a copy. It is illegal.
    If it is public, then anyone can get a copy, including the school.
    I can't imagine any PD being that cordial to a school to provide it copies of an arrest report.
    Hell we have to get that stuff from Magistrate Court, after the alleged have been charegd and arraigned. The PD"s tells us very politely and firmly to fuck off until after the investigation has been completed and then to call the Magistrate or PA's office.

10. 93Devil

There are many things a school knows about a student that are private and cannot be shared, and this falls under that.

11. Bullshit.
    Does anybody on the news side of your shop know about this? Cause this would be a big story.
    It's one thing for the COP to call his buddy the coach or AD and tell them little Johnny was pinched for underage consumption.
    It's a whole 'nother ballgame for give them copies of arrest reports with the names of juvenille and witnesses on them.

12. 93Devil

I left "the shop" a long time ago and now I work in the central office of a school district.

It's very simple and on a letter head. And the school would be sued if it released the information.

Johnny Smith was arrested on Saturday night for tresspassing at 3920 Courthouse Road. Just like I would be sued if I said, hey, Evil, you see that kid? She can't do math for shit. That kid? Mom and dad are divorced and dad cannot pick her up.

Draft saved Draft deleted