1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If may have already been posted, but I thought it was worth mentioning that among the pallbearers were members of the men's team.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

And my guess is, that you won't see a lot of support for Huguely from members of his own team. If this is as open and shut as it seems to be, they aren't gonna want to get anywhere near him.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't think you are going out on a limb with that guess. Just do not see a scenario where teammates could support him.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Not just cancel the season. Shut down THE PROGRAM.
    That was one of the worst, most knee-jerk columns I've read in some time. By his logic, there are a lot of football teams in America which would have been goners a long time ago. Ridiculous.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I normally like Blackistone, but that doesn't make sense. If anything, Duke should be used as a lesson on why you shouldn't cancel the season, make any rash decisions or buckle under public pressure.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

A positive look at a college lacrosse team, about one of the players who nearly kills himself before deciding to make public his sexuality.
    And what a cool, enlightened coach. :)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/sports/09oneonta.html?ref=sports

(Kate Thomas, btw, does excellent work.)

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Lacrosse seems to invite a lot of college kids who hate women.
    Especially in the ACC.

Well, ok, just at Virginia...depending on what you believe happened at Duke.

Punk.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

With privilege comes a false sense of entitlement.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well after reading yesterday about two more incidents...

One when teammates had to pull him off of her at a party... another where he attempted to put his fist through a car window after a night of drinking... and he was breaking a bunch of bottles at a party the night he killed her...

Did anyone on the team think, "This guy is an alcoholic. He needs help."

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps. And perhaps some of his teammates even told him as much. But at 21 and 22, who the hell is going to listen? Some of the people I knew in college back then didn't. It took lessons learned in the years to come before they finally got the help they needed. Most everyone in college thinks they're invincible. Hell, I did. And with college athletes, I'm sure it's often even more so.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The alcohol was a symptom, not the disease itself. This guy was pathological, and had some very dark, very serious personality problems.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think the headline writer did Blackistone a disservice. The column seems to argue that they shouldn't play for the rest of the season, not shut down the program, which the headline clearly states.

Still a bad take. Just not as bad as the headline writer made it out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted