1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Football seems to invite a lot of men that kill the mothers of their children.
    Especially in the NFL.

Well, ok, just Rae Carruth...depending on what you believe about happened in Brentwood.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let's remember that lacrosse is one of the most populous teams in college sports. Football's the only one that's obviously larger in roster size. Track may be. I'd be willing to bet you that any football and lacrosse team has at least one player with alcohol/violence issues. This guy is clearly more of a deviant than most, but let's not assume that UVa is absolutely the worst offender in the universe.

3. tapintoamerica

As I feared, some individuals and their followers are enjoying this unspeakable tragedy. All hail the Internet and its ability to empower Everyman.

http://sportsonmymind.com/2010/05/07/how-and-why-lt-and-jamarcus-russell-become-more-important-than-murder-nfl-gms-lying-and-super-bowl-coaches-stealing-narcotics/

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Virginia has an honor code that extends beyond examinations.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A code that originated when a student shot a professor to death.

http://www.virginia.edu/uvatours/shorthistory/code.html

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

LAX also seems to have a lot less diversity that many other sports.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tantamount to a blood oath with some people on campus.

-- "Tell your friend not to get cute down there, the Marines at Guantanamo are fanatical."
    -- "Fanatical about what?"
    -- "About being Marines."

8. tapintoamerica

Here's the thing about the Honor System, which says you get tossed for the first violation. All freshmen (first-year students, as they are called) support the single-sanction system it because they think it's their obligation to do so. They're terrified that they'll get in trouble if they suggest it might be a bit unforgiving and harsh, etc. By the time they're ready to graduate, a pretty solid percentage of the populace thinks the system is too harsh.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

All eight should be kicked out according to the honor code but I guess it does not apply to LAX players.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I finally got to talk to Criminal Lawyer Lugs about this case yesterday, and I learned two things I didn't realize:

1) "I went to beat the shit out of her and accidently killed her" is not a defense for first degree murder. "I pushed her in the heat of the moment, and she accidently hit her head on the wall" would be.

2) Voluntary intoxication is never a defense for murder. In other words, if he tries to act like he was so drunk he blacked out and didn't know what he was doing - that's not a defense.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Interesting. Sure makes that kicked in door a key piece of evidence then, a smoking gun per se, in terms of the intent to harm her.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just a hunch, but I think the "I didn't mean to kill her" claim doesn't quite square with stealing her computer and trying to ditch it. (Not to mention not calling anyone for help if she "slipped and hit her head. Five times."

Draft saved Draft deleted