1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

than what's your point?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I suppose I can come to grips with the lawyer's side of it -- wouldn't be my gig and I think it shows a certain hole in one's heart to be a defense lawyer in a case like this, but I understand The System.

However, the "expert" pathologist seems to have sold out all of his medical scruples.

3. mb

mb Active Member

No offense to (fill in the blank), but (here's something offensive to said blank).

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it takes far more courage than to be on the other side.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Courage? Please explain how it takes courage.

6. Dick Whitman

That we can be a little blood thirsty in our quest for justice sometimes. Almost medieval, really.

Two things can both be true here:

(1) The alleged killer is a monster who by all rights shouldn't be walking the streets for a long, long time.
    (2) Adderrall played a role in hastening death.

7. Dick Whitman

Because of how unpopular that position is.

There is one safeguard after another in the Constitution to make sure that every accused person gets a full hearing.

But we seem to only think that should apply when we don't so much mind the alleged crime.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or it means he has no conscience and all he cares about is dollar bills. I don't see this as courageous at all, I understand it, but courage isn't what comes to mind.

9. Dick Whitman

I read the same statement across the Internet every time a journalist breaks a negative story about beloved State U.

People are allowed to have principles that don't neatly dove tail with your own.

10. Dick Whitman

Would you prefer to live in a country where this guy was just ushered to the chamber without anyone to scrutinize the facts of the case?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and what might his principles be?

that is a terrible comparison, a gruesome murder to a meaningless sporting event.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Seems to me it would require more courage to own up to the truth and have your client deal with the consequences rather than try a complete distortion of said truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted