1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The same ones that play a leading role in the United States Constitution.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did I say that? Spare me the bullshit about it being courageous. he has a job to do, I get it but he is far from courageous.

3. Dick Whitman

Why is it a distortion?

Maybe the real courage would be for the prosecution to admit that the Adderrall actually did hasten death.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Principled is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of defense lawyers

5. mb

mb Active Member

If everyone has already agreed that the facts are he barged into her room and beat her head against a wall until she died? Yeah, I'd actually be OK with that. If the Adderall caused her death to come from six blows as opposed to 12, perhaps George Wesley Huguely V shouldn't have ... you know ... attacked someone who would die after six blows as opposed to 12.

/making up numbers, admittedly

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Forget the beating she took, blame the adderall.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If that's what you want to believe Dick, go ahead.

If you want to really believe that was a contributing factor to the death of a girl who had her head repeatedly slammed against a wall and died lying in a pool of her own blood go right ahead.

It doesn't fly with me. It's about as absurd as it can get.

8. Dick Whitman

Right, but it's not like he's going to walk if the Adderrall thing is true. He's still fucked.

But, if true, it absolutely is a mitigating circumstance. The question seems to be whether the beating he delivered - while gruesome and unfathomable - was actually enough to bring about death under normal circumstances.

That seems like a fair enough question, right?

9. Dick Whitman

I have no idea and neither do you, quite frankly.

Look, it's absolutely possible that this defense lawyer is a morally bankrupt asshole. But it is painting with a really broad brush to say that all or even most or even a significant number of criminal defense lawyers fall into that category. Lots of people get railroaded in this country. Lots. I am as concerned with overzealous prosecutors as I am with stubborn defense lawyers.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

This isn't 12 Angry Men.

11. mb

mb Active Member

Perhaps they should have looked into the way the wall was constructed. You know, if it was a little less solid, she wouldn't have died nearly as quickly.

And what about her head? Was it abnormally soft?

And how, exactly do we determine "normal circumstances?" Is there some kind of test? Are you allowed 10 or 12 blows?

Was she wearing anything in her hair? You know, that could be a contributing factor, too.

12. Dick Whitman

You're coming around.

Draft saved Draft deleted