1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think the perfunctory "allegedly" is all that relevant here, seeing as how the defense has already admitted he beat her.

Regarding the records request, it sounds like the prosecution fears that the defense will examine everything else and use it against her. Was she on the pill? Did she just sleep with someone other than Huguely? Could it have been another lover who beat her? Was she into rough sex? I don't think anyone could argue the defense wouldn't try to put her on trial in that way regardless of the truth of it. Something about this case, it has just struck me that this particular defense team sinks to new lows. I understand that's their job; you should also understand that people are free to take it as a comment on their character that they'd do this job and do it in this particular way. And how wonderfully idealistic to think the lawyers found this work out of a "deep conviction" that everyone deserves a fair trial, but let me know the next time one of these guys turns down a $500-an-hour case to work for Legal Aid.

If anyone wants to equate us writing some game stories a college fan base didn't like with someone making excuses for a murderer, I would just quote Ralph Waldo Emerson that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

I'm sure I would change my stance on all of this if I too end up raising a spoiled-rotten animal who feels so entitled to whatever he wants that he beats the life out of someone he can't have. Better to write a check than look in the mirror and face the music, I suppose.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wealthy lawyers don't get that way fighting against powerful interests. They get that way fighting for them.

3. The records request is a fishing expedition.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It is surprising how many members of the libruhl media are closet Red Queens, isn't it?

I wonder if they all think the defense attorneys for the Duke lacrosse players should have quietly pocketed their fees and pled those kids out.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Because ...

Kids who continually proclaimed their innocence = Kid who has already admitted to beating a girl to death

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We're not talking about kids here. We're talking about whether defense attorneys perform an essential function in the American legal system.

7. mb

mb Active Member

And, yet, your example was the Duke lacrosse team. A team vindicated by its defense. As opposed to the UVa case, where pretty boy's argument appears to be ... yeah, I beat the shit out of her and killed her, but ... she shouldn't have died. Really bad luck on my part, if you think about it.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Uh, yeah. That was kind of the point.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed that the U.S. Constitution has served this country beautifully for 200+ years, and people want to rip it up by doing away with defense lawyers in certain cases.

No, our system is not perfect, but we have the best G.D. system in the world.

Our jury system, which some people say sucks, is a constant source of 'shock and awe' for the lawyers in my family. They are always telling me that raging racists, wife beaters, and other assorted shitheads somehow rise to the occasion when placed on a jury. Yes, occasionally you get a fuckup, and that's the one you hear about... but think about how often juries get it right.

But I guess we need to rip up the American Flag and not give accused criminals their right to the best possible defense?

Okeeeey....

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who in the hell has said get rid of defense attorneys? This started with Dick saying that the defense attorney was courageous. Which is a pile of bullshit

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It was suggested that people who do that kind of work are immoral.

So... The Constitution mandates that somebody has to defend accused criminals in the best possible way.

But those who do, suck.

That line should have been added to the Constitution for clarity's sake.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Suck" and "GTFO" would have been great to have in the Constitution

Draft saved Draft deleted