1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It only implies that if you stop reading halfway through the first sentence you highlighted. If I was implying that I was skeptical of whether Huguely assaulted her, then the second half of the sentence would make zero sense. I bolded the important part for you.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As constructed, with the word "allegedly" where it is, your post implied skepticism. It is a semantic and trivial debate we are having, to be sure, but if you're arguing with JC you should know where he's coming from.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If we're digging this deep into semantics, the fact that it happened doesn't change the fact that it was alleged.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Opening statements in the Huguely trial held today.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2012/feb/08/day-3-expectations-have-jury-finalized-opening-sta-ar-1671950/

5. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

You know, if I'm Huguely's father and I'm shelling out huge dollars for his defense (which he is), I'm probably going to want his attorneys to come up with a defense theory more plausible than "I shook her and threw her on the bed, but her head never hit the wall. Honest."

Because unless her bed is made of concrete, the jury is going to be pretty fucking incredulous about how Love was found there dead with her head in a pool of blood.

I mean, shit, at least suggest that you threw her on the bed and stormed out, then a one-armed man broke in and killed her.

This kid is going to have a really long, really bad time in prison.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw one account that said the defense theory was they were laying in bed together and fell off. She had a nosebleed.

Uh, yeah. OK.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The TV report seemed to say that the defense was blaming the dorm mates for letting her "sleep" for two hours instead of getting help right away. Plus, they used the "she was drinking" card. I will be shocked if he walks out of there a free man.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2012/feb/08/accounts-loves-death-split-defense-and-prosecution-ar-1674896/

8. Hokie_pokie

The trial just started and he's already fucked.

Prosecution introduced an e-mail from Huguely to Love in which he states "I should've killed you" after he found out she was sleeping with someone else. It was in Love's laptop, which Huguely conveniently stole and tried to get rid of.

Spoiled, rich, entitled frat boy lax player who's used to getting what he wants. Girl who tries to break away from his violent control and winds up dead at his hands ... but he didn't mean to kill her. Yeah right.

If I'm a juror, the rest of this trial is just piling on. Let's get to the penalty phase already.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unless the defense has a bombshell up its sleeve, I don't see anyway he's getting out of there a free man. It seems pretty clear so far the entire strategy is to get the jury to convict on something other than first degree murder.

I thought the prosecution made a mistake with the way it quoted the email in opening statements. "I should have killed you" was only part of it, the defense pointed out. In full it read: "I should have killed you. You should have killed me. You're so fucked up." That doesn't change whether he's guilty one bit, but if I was on the jury I'd lose a little bit of trust in the prosecution.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Defense would have read the entire email eventually.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It did. I just couldn't help thinking "The facts are in your favor. Just give them to me straight."

12. Hokie_pokie

You're 100 percent right on that one, Jake. Absolutely no sense for the prosecutors playing in the gray area on this case and giving that fucking sociopathic weasel even the slightest chance to wriggle out of what he's got coming. Just roll out the evidence professionally and methodically and let it bury his ass.

Guys like George Huguely are one reason why I am determined to maintain a significant, active role in my daughter's life. She's 12 and still thinks boys are basically creepy dumbasses, but I'm going to be right there when that starts changing.

As someone whose father used to enjoy smacking my mother around on a fairly regular basis, the thought of any young woman being beaten to death makes me sad and very, very angry.

Draft saved Draft deleted