1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If by some chance this scumbag does walk free, I think that will pretty much finish any faith I might still have left in the criminal justice system in this country.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Prosecution brought up that Love told Huguely she had been with another man who pleased her more than Huguely ever did. I understand they are painting a picture of Huguely arriving at the room in a rage, which counters the notion that events were accidental, but with that side of it this trial is going to be extra-tough on Love's family seeing everything about her exposed like that.

Also interested in the part in opening statements where police removed contents from Love's car, but witnesses didn't know and didn't ask what it was. Is there a big reveal coming, or is that a chain-of-custody matter?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This kid is going to jail. All of this right now is posturing if it will be life or not.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I thought I read the DP is not on the table, but if they convict on first-degree (premeditation), in Virginia he'll probably get life without parole, isn't that right?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This trial has concluded and is headed to the jury deliberations. I haven't been reading the dailies, but based on this Baltimore Sun account, it sounds like the high-priced defense lawyers were fairly horrible in the case.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-02-19/news/bs-md-marbella-huguely-lawyers-20120219_1_george-huguely-yeardley-love-rhonda-quagliana

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Unlike sports where they keep score along the way, trials are strictly a win/lose pass/fail contest. Gotta wait to see the verdict before critiquing the lawyers. See Ben Rapethisburger in Super Bowl XL.

7. The Baltimore Sun article wasn't the only one that took the defense team to task for underwhelming work. (If I can find the link, I'll post it.) In general, trial watchers weren't very impressed by the defense team and wondered why the defendant's family went local instead of bringing in some high-priced Beltway counsel.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until Jerry Sandusky walks (ducking)

9. mb

mb Active Member

2nd degree murder. 5-40 years. Sentencing on the way.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Guilty of second degree murder, after nine hours of jury deliberations:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/george-huguely-guilty-of-second-degree-murder/2012/02/21/gIQA1ss4TR_story.html?hpid=z1

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll guess somewhere between 15-20.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Too light.

Draft saved Draft deleted