1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Could have been first degree, right? That's the best outcome he could expect. Unfortunately, it probably means he'll be a free man in his 40s, or earlier, with his family's wealth at his disposal.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Actually think the prosecution was lucky to get murder two.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Admittedly, I haven't read a ton about it, but from what I have, I tend to agree.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This is the outcome his attorneys have been shooting for since day one.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Which isn't to say he didn't do it, just that the defense lawyers appeared to be getting the better of the courtroom exchanges.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The defense was going for involuntary manslaughter, which was something in the neighborhood of 1-5 years.

2nd degree involves finding intent to kill but "in the heat of the moment" not cold-blooded premeditated intent to kill. I think the jury got it right because he was in a drunken rage and emotional, not likely intent on killing her before he got there.

The difference between manslaughter and 2nd degree murder is huge. Don't think I'd consider this a victory if I was the defense counsel. He's going away for a long time.

The local accounts I read did not indicate the defense was getting the better; in fact it appeared that the defense bungled a few things and did not have a coherent version of the facts.

Damn he went to Landon, my in-laws live right around the corner and my wife grew up there. A beautiful campus.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's a damn shame. He'll probably be a free man before he's 30.

I can only hope his time served is a most painful one.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Obviously, you're right on that. His defense had to be hoping for manslaughter.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He was also convicted of grand larceny (for the laptop, I assume). So that's going to add a little to the sentence, although not much.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeardley Love's family has to be beside themselves.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think the Love's family would have liked to see a death sentence but from everything I've read, even if that happened they still would not feel satisfaction. A true tragedy and as a parent I can imagine what they feel. Of course, I also understand the unconditional support Huguely's parents are giving him.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Virginia still does not offer parole to violent offenders. So if he gets 20 years, he's going to serve at least 17. (You can earn up to 15 percent reduction for good behavior.)

Not enough, obviously. But assuming he gets a reasonable sentence, he's not getting out before he's 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted