1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lacrosse ugliness at U.Va.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 3, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

OK, then Patrick Dennehy?

Point being: circumstances dictate coverage, and the murder of a college athlete is never treated as run of the mill by the media.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Dools, you're the best. But that stripper in the Duke lacrosse case was charged with freaking attempted murder not too long ago. She's a disaster of a human being.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/02/18/2010-02-18_crystal_gail_mangum_stripper_in_duke_lacrosse_rape_case_charged_with_arson_and_a.html

3. Or Baylor basketball.

But he's probably got a point when it comes to how long it will play in the non-sports celebrity/gossip type media. It's a crossover story because of some of the components, not least of which is the couple's extreme attractiveness.

Not to get lost in this - what an absolutely horrifying story. These sports are relatively insular worlds, just like any niche hobby or field of interest. Poor woman had her whole life in front of her, probably thought she met a great guy from the men's team ... just sad beyond words.

I do think that if a black basketball player from Virginia killed a black female basketball player for Virginia it would get just as much play. Maybe more because of the profile of the sport. That's the hook here, so it's not run-of-the-mill.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Took long enough for someone to post this nonsense.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Dools, I can only hope someone has hijacked your login. Otherwise, you have raised the bar of lefitst foolishness around here, a bar that's about 100 stories high. Seriously, you're completely ignoring facts to push your textbook liberal agenda (Come back, BYH! Come back!)

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only common thread between this and Duke is the sport. Stop drawing comparasons.

This case has a body that had God knows what done to it for God knows how long. I also pray to God no sexual shit from this ever hits the media.

A better comparason would be if Lawerence Phillips had actually killed that girl.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This is a sports-based website. Athletes don't kill each other all the time. That's not run of the mill at all. It's a story. And a sad one at that.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think textbooks should be as impartial as possible.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Notice what the official statement doesn't say. It doesn't ask people to wait and see what happens with the judicial process. It doesn't say, "I'm obviously troubled that another student has been charged with the crime." It says, "it appears another student is the perp."

I really doubt the university president can release a statement so damning unless lawyers have told him the case is really, really closed for good and that there's no chance of any affirmative defense at trial. That's especially the case in light of the Duke thing, in which the university was sued in part for the comments it made in the aftermath of the arrests.

As to what the teams should do, I can't imagine the men's team can play. Why would they want to? Nothing they can do can mitigate the tragedy. If they win, they can't even reasonably play the "Us Against The World" card. They can't speak of overcoming adversity, etc.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's also possible UVa has really shitty lawyers.

11. Doubtful. Probably have the Kennedys.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Duke has a great law school too. Lotta good that did 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted