1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

One of my all time favourites, watched it again a year or so ago. Great cast, and Cooper as a reluctant sheriff is amazing.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

John Sayles is an unsung great

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A movie that's never to my mind been made...I visited the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry (twice actually) and there's a captured German submarine there. The exhibit states that one of the sub's commanders killed himself on the bridge during deployment, with no other info. What a compelling story that would be. One can stow his diddy bag there overnight if one wishes to experience what it was like for the Nazi swine living in that star-crossed tub.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Still on Covid isolation, so watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Escape to Sonoita. 1958 comic book-level story but with unexpected great cast of Burt Reynolds, Murray Hamilton and Harry Dean Stanton! The kidnap victim was played by Venetia Invicta Stevenson, a blonde starlet in the old tradition for whom later both the window blind and watches were named. Just kidding. But she is notable for her marriage to Don Everly; she was Axl Rose's mother-in-law when her daughter Erin was married to him. She also appeared in Back to the Future Part II as the cover girl of the Oh Lala magazine, and her picture has been on Sweetheart Stout beer since 1958. Only died n 2022.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Lone Star is the cinematic equivalent of a brick to the head. Completely lacking any subtlety.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Son mentioned reading a mag article about the Cannonball race and reminded me of the Burt Reynolds movie(s). They don’t make those big star “fun” movies anymore do they?

garrow likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Super intensely articulation by CK about There Will Be Blood.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cannonball and Gumball Rally both.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"May December," a Todd Haynes film staring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore.

Another interesting film from Haynes, and different than two of his other standouts, "Far From Heaven" and "Carol." This one is set in the present day, and seems to be about exploitation ... by both of the main characters.

An interesting movie with two great actresses, and the lead actor (Charles Melton) does a good job, too.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Struggling through The Instigators on Apple, starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. Feel like it had the makings of a decent movie, but it isn’t one.

Webster likes this.
  11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Rewatched Raging Bull.

It says so much about Scorsese that it's a great film but easily not in my top five for him (Goodfellas, Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, The Age of Innocence, :Last Tempt, one or two others....)

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sing Sing, GREAT movie, a fantastic screenplay about men and relationships between them. Two HUGE thumbs up!!

Draft saved Draft deleted