1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I don’t like to criticize a movie as being too long, because I’m afraid it exposes me as a mouth breather. However, I think both The Irishman and Flower Moon were indulgently long.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know why you have that attitude. Watching a movie is an experience and part of that is how long the experience is.

It's not just a moviegoer's comfort, it is the obvious dreck that makes it into movies at 2+hours. Scorsese is unwatchable between the over the top use of music and bloated films.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

They were incredibly underwhelming. Flower Moon especially. Sorry I saw it in the theater.

Tighthead likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My ass would have never forgiven me if I'd watched it in a theater.

garrow likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We watched it last night. It was fine and instantly forgettable. I do think that the Matt Damon character needed 60 seconds more of backstory.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that Bad Monkey ep 4 was worst so far, not enough Vaughn and too much others.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

An early 1970s one I hadn’t seen, “Straw Dogs” with Dustin Hoffman as a math nerd who eventually needs to fight back against the local rubes in a small English town.

As usual with Sam Peckinpah, the use and consequences of violence are central to the plot — including a very controversial sexual assault scene.

On a lighter note, I’m sure Hoffman didn’t mind filming the bedroom scene with Susan George. The mathematician certainly out kicked his coverage!!

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched BeetleJuice ahead of the new flick. My wife had never seen it. I probably hadn’t seen it in 15-20 years. Very much loved it when it came out.

It’s pure Tim Burton. It’s definitely dated and with all Burton stuff, you have to buy into the whimsy.

The cutting-edge 1988 special effects aren’t exactly cutting edge, but the silliness and otherworldly aspect were always the point.

My wife found it cute. I wasn’t quite swept up in the nostalgia but enjoyed it. I don’t expect much from the new one other than a (hopefully) fun time and love letter to the original. I’m a fan of Michael Keaton, so looking forward to a mind-off escape experience.

garrow likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm going to celebrate Christmas early and watch the third best Christmas movie, Diehard.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Rebel Ridge on Netflix. Very solid modern-day First Blood. Strong lead actor (Aaron Pierre, who I had never seen before) and Don Johnson is really good as the villain. Roy from the Office, an actor I always liked, has a big supporting role too.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Saw the new Beetlejuice tonight. A hot mess that has its moments, and plenty of dark ones. Packed with convoluted storylines that don't let the script breathe. Went home and watched the original, per its era a simpler story that lets good actors to do what they do best with top writing. "Things seem pretty quiet around here. You should thank God you didn't die in Italy." I had to explain that one to a millennial.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is it ok for little kids?

Draft saved Draft deleted