1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let’s all not care together: 2024 fantasy football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 9, 2024.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

LaDainian Tomlinson was a shit ton of fun to have on my team for one season.

“Hmm, who should I put in my lineup as my No. 1 running back? I know, the guy who averages 100+ yards rushing and scored 20-something touchdowns last year!”

Made it to my championship game that year, then some else had a better week than me.

Batman likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Modern tech has made football even more of a crapshoot to win each week. In the leagues I played in the 2000s decade, you had an advantage if you had computer access and you could claim a free agent right away during a game (couldn’t put him in the lineup, though).

I won a league title one year when watching a Bucs game, Mike Alcott went down with an injury (never the same afterwards), and I immediately went to the waiver wire; signed Michael Pittman Sr. And he got 900-something yards as my third RB that year.

Can’t do that nowadays. Everyone is on a waiver wire until Wednesday, and everyone has access to the same wavier wire info.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of guys who were no-brainer first-round picks who then did absolutely nothing and murdered their teams. There is usually one every year, but I'm not sure there's been one like McCaffrey figures to be this year.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Same here. I'd been playing for a couple of years in college when I joined by work league in the late 90s. No one else either gave a shit or seemed to really have a grasp of it like we do now. For three or four years I felt like I was two steps ahead of most everyone else.
    By the mid-2000s anybody with a shred of potential was snatched up like a loaf of Wonder Bread when a hurricane is approaching. It's even worse now.

5. Baron Scicluna

I had Adrian Peterson one year when he got hurt in the first or second game and was basically done for the season.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think everyone has one of those - Kijana Carter was mine. Thought he'd be great, then he blew out his knee.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He isn’t hurt, but Mark Andrews has caused me a good bit of indigestion so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted