1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lexi Thompson's delayed penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people in this world who do nothing but sit back and wait to enforce stupid, pointless rules they invented, just to make themselves feel more important than they are.

HC likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No sport can afford to let fans participate in officiating. It leads to madness like this. Golf really needs to lose the fiction that all of us golfers are one big family, with the only difference between the golfer watching the pros on TV and the pros is their handicaps. I'm an old fart playing a game for fun. Thompson is a superbly conditioned professional athlete competing in a sport for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not the same thing. Letting some outsider enforce your rules is an offspring of the myth.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not really "viewers at home" calling this in -- it's ex-officials, caddies, players, someone who either has an axe to grind with the player or is a goody-two-shoes for the rules (and I like/respect the rules, but not to the point of getting in someone else's business). Tiger's penalty at the Masters a few years back was called in by David Eger, a former USGA official and Tour player. Right ruling, wrong person to get it from. A Tour has to be able to police itself on-site, and if that requires someone watching every minute of TV coverage on the .01 percent chance a violation can be caught, then that's gotta happen.

Make no mistake, Lexi mismarked the ball. Like Judge Smails said, next time be more careful. But this day-after crap has to stop. It's a joke.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are rules officials who get paid to do a job. If they miss a call, they miss a call. You can't allow unpaid others to make calls. And you certainly can't overrule their calls the next day. Imagine any other sport where that happened. There'd be riots, and rightly so.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

A player in the lead on Sunday is concentrating on her game, trying to bring home a championship. An official walks up to her and tells her that because of a missed ruling yesterday (which has been called in!) she is now no longer leading by two, she's down two. I can't imagine what that would do to the player's mental status. It's crushing. Stupid officials. Fix this nonsense.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Her mind had to be swimming yet she still kept making birdies. That's one of the greatest efforts in LPGA history even though she didn't win.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OTOH, if Donald Trump wants to bring jobs back, he should force the NCAA and pro leagues to have 800 numbers so fans can call in and bitch about missed calls and crappy officiating.

You can staff it with out-of-work miners and steelworkers.

Win-win! MAGA!!

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The way she marked it did look odd.....still......you can't wait 24 hours after fact. Utter rubbish. She handled it as classy as you can. Says a lot about her.

I Should Coco and poindexter like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

How disorienting would it be if you found out that there are only two people posting on this message board: you and another guy who has 20,000 accounts? The Matrix, but with infinitely smaller stakes.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Asked some of our staffers about this, including a couple of folks who have scored 100 at rules school. It was enforced correctly, by the letter of the law. Of course, there has to be a common sense factor involved as well. Did Thompson gain an advantage from accidentally misplacing the ball? Devil's Advocate: What if there was a spike mark where the original mark was and she did gain an advantage by moving it an inch on the replace? The new rules will address some of this. A huge part of the modernization process is injecting some damn common sense into the rules. As my co-worker said, the rules officials on site had to be sick to their stomachs informing Thompson of the infraction.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't get upset by people calling in except for the fact that players are under different levels of scrutiny based on whether they are on TV.

For me, the worst part is the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard. She never could sign the correct scorecard because the officials didn't do their job. If they are going to allow penalties a day late, drop the scorecard penalty.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did I see that correctly? She marked the ball, picked it up 12 inches, then placed it (an inch over). I was expecting to see a mark, then ball cleaning, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted