1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lexi Thompson's delayed penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 2, 2017.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not an antiquated practice; it makes perfect sense. Players keep their own score because golf prides itself on everyone playing by the same rules. Be that good or bad, that's the way the game's been for 400 years. So, there's no such thing as walking scorers in your city championship or in 95 percent of all the tournament rounds played around the world.

We can argue all day about penalizing a player 24 hours after the fact. That discussion aside, Lexi got what Lexi deserved. She cheated.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oof, saying she cheated connotes intent. I think she just screwed up.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

All incorrect scorecards are signed accidentally, in a sense. No one signs an incorrect one on purpose. But dem's da rules.

I totally agree that scorecards are antiquated at golf's highest levels and only cause problems, but getting rid of them would be a form of bifurcation and none of the pro tours are ready to go down that road yet.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The "She deserved it for breaking the rules" argument reeks of the attitude that makes millions of people who might enjoy a great fun game hate golf very much instead.

Iron_chet, PCLoadLetter and Ace like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Again I will ask of the 'rules are rules' guys: When it is a penalty: a sixteenth of an inch difference? An eighth? A quarter inch? A half inch?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I love the dramatics, she cheated. Yes, she didn't make a mistake she cheated.

7. playthrough

There's no number on it in the rules, you're supposed to "replace it at the exact spot from where it was lifted" (paraphrasing). Lexi clearly didn't do that. Not saying she cheated. But she broke the rule.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She didn't freakin' cheat. Come on now.

Look, I get the rules and why they're there. But you absolutely cannot completely hijack any tournament with six holes to go and 24 hours after the fact. It completely redoes how everyone would have played the round had the scores were different going into it.

I would say once the scorecards are signed, that's it, the round is official, we're done. I'll even go as far and allow changes up until the first ball is struck in the next round. But this was a complete fiasco.

Yes, it's on the players, but also on playing partners and rules officials who are with all of these groups.

bigpern23, I Should Coco, MTM and 2 others like this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"replace it at the exact spot from where it was lifted"

Which is impossible; whenever you pick something up and put it back down, it will not be in the "exact" same spot.

The rules official following her did not see any violation. Unlike Tiger, there was no intent to improve her next shot. Play on. And the incorrect scorecard thing is total BS. At the time, there was no penalty, so the scorecard she signed was absolutely correct.

10. playthrough

Of course it can't be "exact." But Lexi's video was very clear, even though it's a distance smaller than the ball itself. Also, the rules official isn't going to be on the green with them or even looking at all. Marking a ball is one of those dumb little things in golf but it still has to be done a certain way, especially if you're playing for big bucks.

Non-golfers are saying today that it's a silly rule, but they're the kind of rules you have to have. (And again, just talking about the marking stuff. I think the whole second-day-penalty part is crap.)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a league game, Lexi.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's the boat I'm in. She definitely broke the rule. But the problem is you can't go back the way they did it. Either declare it official once the scorecards or signed or before the first ball is hit in the next round. How this was done was beyond ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted