1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lisa Olson quits New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was there. I clicked on the link as soon as he posted it. It's been removed.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I recall the same urban legends from 2002. It started at Sports Pages.com. Lupica did not like what was being posted about him and had Leon Carter try to strong arm Rich Johnson into shutting down message board.

Rich also was getting pressure from Don Skwar who at that time was president of APSE.

Pressure became too much for Rich and he decided to shut down. This was when Webby started up SJ.

Here is link from 2002 APSE newsletter where Skwar calls for the shut down of SportsJournalists.com:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/feb2002/2dotcom.html

DD is also correct about the New York Observer story on Lupica getting Kriegel run out of the Daily News. Luppy was threatened by Kriegel's "On the Mark " and flet it copied "Shooting From The Lip"

But enough on that . This is about Lisa-- a very talented columnist who seems to be able to write on all sports equally well and with great flair. I have to figure that losing someone with that type of ability leaves a big hole at TDN. She would be a perfect replacement for Selena Roberts at The Times. Hopefully she is back somewhere soon . I will miss her work.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Piotr's earlier posts probably say it better, but I wanted to add this:

If I had to rank the people who bash and disrespect women on this site and elsewhere, shockey wouldn't even make the top million.

He's no rookie, and he knows the NY media scene. He raised something he had heard, and it was refuted by several others. Asked and answered.

4. Boom_70

Timing of this whole thing seems odd. I am surprised that Lisa would not have waited till after the Super Bowl to resign. She has done a lot of work on The Giants so I presume that she would have been part of The News team covering.

5. I wonder if Skwar's opinion on the site has changed in six years. It's quite different here now.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks for the take of an insider, danews. that's all i was seeking.

thanks, too, to 21 and others who have defended me here. i find the anti-woman accusations most laughable. no worries. i know who i am. but it is funny.

i am hurt, though, when someone i consider a pal, like sportschick, has come to believe i'm anti-women. perhaps that should tell me some of my posts have not been written with enough care.

7. Boom_70

As well he should have. In defense of Shockey I believe that I was the first to raise the flag on Crouse and he was just supporting my thesis.

Her work as the Jet beat did leave a lot to be desired.She covered the Jets like it was the Lifetime network. She wrote like a girl -- not a sportswriter.

8. Is Crouse not on the Jets anymore?

9. Boom_70

No - done - Greg Bishop took over half way through season.

10. What is she now? Enterprise?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, without a doubt she is one of the most sensitive people here.

Skin's thinner than a condom's.

12. Boom_70

Shockey can't block and won't stay on his routes but he is not a chauvinist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.