1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long, but entertaining: Spider-Man 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 2, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As usual, I've got Milicic on the brain.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So, should I skip out of work this afternoon to watch a S-3 matinee?
    I don't much feel like working and a movie is as good a way to kill an afternoon as anything else.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll say one good thing about the movie, Thomas Haden Church was perfectly cast as Darko/Sandman. With that said, I prefer Crystal Bernard in any leading lady role. I see her on Lifetime now and then while channel surfing, playing some miserable wife/widow.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just saw it this morning and thought it was too long and dragged a bit in spots. The fight sequences were good, but overall the movie was only fair. I know its a bad sign if I start checking my watch during the movie and when I found myself looking at my watch just an hour into the movie, that wasn't a good sign. Overall this movie is 1-1/2, maybe 2 stars out of 5.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Surprisingly, I went back again to see it last night. I mean what was I thinking :eek: Did I really need to see Tobey Maguire shake his stuff again ::) I find him really nerdy at times and this movie really reaffirmed it for me. I know that I had a favorable opinion the first time, but after seeing it again, I think the thing that draws me to the movie are the visual effects. I had a thought though....Topher Grace could cut it as Peter Parker's long lost relative. ;D

I do hope that the role of Mary Jane gets recasted to someone other than Kirsten Dunst. She is one bad actress who shows no signs of maturing anytime soon. And James Franco's smile disturbs me...he doesn't even have good teeth or a great jaw. I mean why have villans when all you have to do is look at his jaw/teeth, especially when he smiles ::) ;D

Can someone tell me, is Ron Howard's daugther the one who played Gews Stacey in the movie?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, that is Ron Howard's daughter.

And are you saying Tobey Maguire playing Peter Parker as nerdy is a bad thing? Seems very much in character to me. That is definitely the intent. The cooler he tries to be, the more you see what a nerd he is.

7. Cansportschick

outofplace, the dancing and wierd moves on the street near the clothing store made him a lot more nerdier than he had to be. I mean he was already nerdy enough, which is in line with the character, but you would think that wearing a powerful black suit would make him a little cooler. I think of Tom Welling's character in Smallville (Clark Kent). There is an episode that involves him going to the dark side and he became cooler. Peter Parker became nerdier, not cooler with the black suit. There is only so much nerd you can take in while watching a movie ;D

8. outofplace

Well, if you don't like it...that's just a subjective thing. I can see the joke of Peter becoming even more of a dork wearing on people.

But it made sense for the character. Peter Parker is very different from any version of Clark Kent. Even as a farmboy, Superman is cool. He plays at being a nerd, particularly in the original movies, but he isn't one. And all the red Kryptonite does is remove his inhibitions.

The black suit enhances everything that Peter Parker already is, mostly his negative emotions. So making him even more of a nerd made sense. The difference is that he was trying to be cool, which is part of the humor.

9. Cansportschick

I guess I just didn't like the nerdier side being portrayed much more with Parker, even if that was the premise of the black suit. His dancing is awful, and I hope he doesn't get chosen to do Dancing with the Stars anytime soon.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Meh.
    No need for Gwen. She should have been in the first movie. (or maybe put her in the battle royal).
    No justice at all to Venom.
    I didn't even hear, 'We are Venom!'

Ugh.

11. outofplace

Agreed...they should have worked in Venom talking about himself in the third-person plural. Instead, they had him talking like Eddie Brock.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

And if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), I remember Brock being in the first movie very briefly during one of the Bugle's meetings with Parker.

I'm all for Venom but his story felt like it was just thrown in there for the hell of it just to please some of the fanboys. I always wanted a Sinister Six movie or two then work Venom in.

Draft saved Draft deleted