1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There was an article linked on Newser that made the claim that TV critics need to be smarter these days as shows have become more complex. I can't disagree.
    With many shows using season-long arcs, let alone a show like Lost, using series-long arcs, a reviewer can't just parachute in at the end, read up on the episode guides and let their opinion fly. It's like describing Citizen Kane as being a story about a sled.
    Not equating Lost with Citizen Kane, and I realize news orgs have been writing about stuff they don't understand for years, but when dedicated viewers read something that makes this fact so blatant - the entire medium suffers.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Good stuff, Dan.

And, FWIW, I e-mailed the NY Times Arts Editor about that piece of crap story that they printed yesterday.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Thanks for posting that.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Hold on. It's not???? :p

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watched it last night and was frankly disappointed. I guess the fact that they all had to experience this together in the sideways world in order to "let go" seemed pretty silly to me.

And by saying that the Island was "real", some (not all) of the mysteries actually had to be explained.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Basically, if there is a question as to why an event happened, it more than likely traces back to that event helping one of our original Losties find redemption or peace or whatever you want to call it.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

FYP :)

I liked the ending, but I still think they wrote themselves into a lot of corners they couldn't get themselves out of.

9. DanOregon

I do appreciate the effort Lost's writers put into answering questions. The producer of 24 said in an interview he had no idea where the story would end up when they started the season.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Very cool read, particularly the Dharma/Ben/MIB explanation. That's one of those things I'll admit is in the show but I'd missed.

11. DanOregon

Doc Jensen is up with Part II of his recap. I hate to say it - but it reads like the guy wonders if all that stuff he wrote about the show, all that time researching various authors, philosophers and ideas, wonders if he got sold a bill of goods. Not even a mention of Kate's costume change in the church or Miles' dad being the emcee of the concert. They better keep Doc away from sharp objects.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So the last images on the beach were not part of the show, but inserted by ABC to transition to the news.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/lost-exclusive-abc-sets-the-record-straight-about-the-series-finales-plane-crash-images.html

Draft saved Draft deleted