1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting interview ... Well, Lindelof was interesting. The interviewer took 2 minutes to get to his first friggin' question.

I still love the show. I get people's disappointment at the ending, but I've never looked forward to the next episode of a show more than I did at the end of each week of Lost.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, the interviewer had no clue what he was talking about...but good to watch.
    I need to re-visit this show...maybe this summer.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Saw this message here, rewatched the video. It sums up why I'm still pissed at the finale two years later.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This is probably my favorite thread I've started here.

really miss all the dissections of minor details, the guesses, the arguments, etc.

Met a friend of mine only two years ago; she was as huge a Lost fan as I am, but we never had the chance to discuss the show. We're talking about separately marathoning through it this summer just so we can dissect it all over again.

It might not be the greatest show of all time. But it's my favorite.

Next to Twin Peaks. I'm clinging to that one, just to be different. ;D

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Nope...you can't have Twin Peaks! That's MY obsession!

Now...where the hell is my VCR? Time to pop in those tapes again...

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It still makes me laugh that when Jacob was trying to explain the Man in Black at some point, and he talked about wine and a cork keeping him inside a bottle and you're like "Oh, I get it. It's a metaphor. He's not actually being literal."

And then, in the end, Jack has to put a giant stone cork back in place to "contain" the bad guy.

Just hilariously bad writing in the final season.

Shows are so much better -- in general -- if creators don't start believing their own bullshit. David Simon might be the exception, although Season 5 of The Wire doesn't help his case either.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Such a frustrating ending. Well acted, emotional and wonderfully shot yet it left many totally unsatisfied.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love "LOST" and how into dissecting it people got. But the finale was a total clusterfuck - and only about 1 percent of that was because of the writers (yes, the cork and golden bath were dumb).

I recall that half the population thought that they were "dead all along!!!111!!!"

Then, the best part was that over the credits they showed a photo of the wrecked plane as basically an homage to the six seasons of the show and the event that started it all. And instead of realizing that, every jamoche with access to a keyboard took to the Internet to howl about how this was "proof" that they were "dead all along."

"WHY ELSE WOULD THEY SHOW A PICTURE OF THE PLAIN!!!111ELEVENTY!"

I mean, even if you absolutely cannot accept the idea of a still shot, over the credits, that doesn't tie into the narrative of the show, that particular contention doesn't even make sense.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This was an amazing ride, but I agree that the last season was a total, total waste. I felt like Linus in the pumpkin patch telling everything was going to OK in the end during that last season, and we all know how that played out. At the end of the series, I felt like Lucy was leading my tired ass back into the house.

I don't think I will ever watch it again. Why should I when I have never seen Modern Family, Community, Sons of Anarchy or a handful of other shows that deserve my time more than this screw up?

And it was an amazing up until that season. It was the best show ever while the ride was happening, when we were naive. There has never been a show where I am calling people three minutes after the episode ends at 10:03 p.m.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The thing that may be most galling is that this is what they wanted. It's not as if the show was on the bubble and got cancelled, leaving many things in the air. In fact, most of what was left unresolved were concepts that were outlined in the earlier episodes which means, 1) the writers must have known significance of those concepts and had an endgame in mind, and 2) they had plenty of time to tie those things up and chose not to.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Because he seemed to have super fucking powers you idiot freaking writers.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe two years have already passed since the end of the show, but count me in as one of the viewers who had no clue what the hell the ending was about.

At one point, I went on Wikipedia to try to read their summaries and I came upon Desmond's story. He did about 100 things within the last three episodes, going here and there, and seeing this person and that person, and I found myself thinking what a mess the whole thing was at the end.

What would really bug me was they would have the characters meet up with a minor character from the past, and the next day, you'd have some viewers acting like, "Oooh, they saw so-and-so from Season II! What does that all mean?" And I'd be like, "Who the fuck was that? I don't remember some minor character from three seasons ago!"

Draft saved Draft deleted