1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Oct 2, 2006.

1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

A little puffy of an episode, but I was thinking...Wouldn't a van be a HUGE help in battle...

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Yes, but only if it runs on solar power.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

or you could wait for Mr. Fusion

(that's actually not technically correct, but whatever)

4. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

You know, it seems like Lost can't win anymore...

In earlier posts on this thread, people complained that the show kept uncovering new questions without answering old ones, or that it worried too much about The Others and didn't concentrate on the original crash survivors, or that there weren't any Season One-type episodes that used the flashbacks correctly... jeez, am I missing anything?

So this week we get an episode that is light in tone, effictively uses flashback sequences to provide insight to a character, features plenty of interaction between the original crash survivors (not one "Other" to be seen, unless we count Russo as a potential Other)...and it gets ripped for it by just about every poster.

Next week, it looks like we'll see Sayid, Locke, Kate and Danielle begin their search, an update on what's happening with Jack and the mysterious guy from the other hatch...and somebody will complain that there wasn't enough Hurley.

Lighten up, folks. There's not one show on television that hits a home run with every episode. I admit the show has regressed since the beginning, but I'm still entertained. And even with its flaws, it's still better than 75 percent of the dreck that's on now.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Agreed on all accounts. Now, if you could just tell me why the military guy who captured Sayid is one of the Others, I could go about my day.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"Ye cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys!" [/GroundskeeperWillie]

7. This week's ep? That's what *I'm* talkin about! That's some old-school Lost for you right there.

8. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

Great episode, certainly one of the best they've had in some time. I'm not bashing the show, but it felt like I got something out of it for the first time in a while.
    Also loved Sawyer's nickname for Sun and Jin: Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Awesome episode. And as someone else said, enjoyable for what it is, no matter if it advances the plot and gets us closer to some answers or not (although I think it did). Too bad all the Dharma books got toasted, but who wants to read the last chapter first anyway? Not me.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Much better tonight. It finally seems that the big picture is painted and now they are adding the details and connecting everything back together. Or for what might be a better analogy they've got the puzzle pieces together for the border and some of the inside parts are done, but large chunks of the final puzzle are still waiting to be filled in.
    And do I remember an episode that had a Dharma station somewhere in Russia?

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Anyone else get the idea that Locke was portrayed tonight as having lost a step or two, perhaps as a result of (last season's) hatch explosion?

First, he seemed to be leading the group aimlessly through the jungle. Then, in the shack, he sat there mesmerized by the computer chess game, ignoring the what was going on in the other room -- even when the noisy fight broke out, it took forever for him to appear, gun in hand. Next thing you know, he's back at the computer pressing codes obliviously and ultimately allowing himself to be captured by the Russian guy...not to mention, he caused the place to blow up.

The old Locke would never behave that way. So now are we supposed to believe that he is a bit touched in the head? At least until he recovers (probably in conjunction with his next flashback episode).

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This week was no better than last week, and I enjoyed both of them quite a bit. I've really liked this season, as I liked the first two.

But I don't get why dudes are lauding it as if it was something exponentially more special than other recent ones.

To recap:

We saw Dharma books without seeing the information in them.

We saw a station that contained two of the others, and a bunch of plastic explosive.

We saw Sayid get all teary in his past. His flashback was about as groundshaking as Jack's tattoo explanation a couple weeks ago. Yay. Let's get some more "Others" backstories, please. We actually might learn a little something new and interesting.

What, exactly, did we see tonight that was special, that really put this episode over last week's? That makes us say "That's more like it!" Violence? The name "Dharma" on the screen? The Dharma dude from the videos?

We DID get the answer of what happened to the scientists. But maybe I missed something . . . . because this one was just another one that moved us to the next week. And I have no problem with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted