1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The science teacher blew up.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

I liked how the writers had Nikki making reference to being brought on the show ("Exposure?") just to be killed off. I love self-reverential stuff like that.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How did he get blown up?

4. Armchair_QB

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

no. it was kept secret.

i thought that was confirmed last week, not last night.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Right, right, right. I remember that now.

So, again, I say last night's ep only served the purpose of giving everybody a break from the main storylines, reinforced the whole "Nobody talks to each other" angle and ridded two secondary characters from the show's budget plot.

The actress playing Nikki, btw, has been cast in Football Wives, the Americanized version of BBC's Footballer's Wives.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You could also call last night's episode tying up loose ends and that more of the same can be expected for the rest of the season.

And so is Lucy Lawless, Gabrielle Union and a host of others for Football Wives. No word as to which wife bangs her husband with a strap-on like in Footballers Wives.

8. I saw last night's episode as relatively pointless. Paulo and Nikki were added so awkwardly to the show at the beginning of the season that it seems like the writers just had to do something to get rid of a bad decision. So they threw them in some familiar scenes to make it look like they've been there all along when we haven't seen them for two episodes and gave them a worthless backstory — seriously, why would the diamonds mean anything on an island seemingly no one knows about — and ended their contributions to the show. Don't see paralyzed people digging out of hundreds of pounds of sand.

9. Armchair_QB

The diamonds matter if you think you're going to be rescued. Following the timeline they laid out last night they've been there less than two months.

The shot of Nikki opening her eyes at the end indicated the venom was wearing off after eight hours, which is how long the blowed-up science teacher said it lasted so, in theory, they could dig their way out if they came to in time.

10. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

There was a ton of little fourth-wall things like that last night. Every time Sawyer says, "Who the hell are you?" it's a shout out to the message boarders who have been complaining about the Brazilian duo all season long, for example.

I liked it. It reminded me of how the X-Files used to have a lot of just out-there standalone episodes in between the ones that advanced the mythology. If "Lost" had done that from the beginning, people would love those episodes. Instead, a lot of people want it to be "24" and advance at a breakneck pace every week.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think the point was -- and this was mentioned by Sun -- that the diamonds were worthless on the island, yet Nikki and Paulo let them come between them anyway. This after they said they would never become like Shannon and Boone.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

But as Locke pointed out, nothing stays buried on the Island.

Draft saved Draft deleted