1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You didn't ask me, but not only is it not paramount, it doesn't really matter.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not at all. But if the women themselves believe that they may have conveyed consent, you can't let them publicly lodge potentially career-ending allegations of a sex crime against somebody.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is laughing considered consent on any level? How do we know they weren't laugh-rioting because they thought it was pervy in a sexy kind of way; or sexy in a pervy kind of way?

The motivation behind their laughing is definitely difficult to discern 15 years later. And no, that doesn't mean I absolve Louis for that particular instance of pop masturbation.

4. Dick Whitman

Wait a minute now.

Under this standard, there should be no investigations. No interviews. No trials.

An accusation should lead straight to a conviction, like not passing "Go" in "Monopoly."

Of course, it matters. The degree to which it matters will depend upon circumstances, but of course it matters how the accused viewed an encounter as regards consent.

5. Dick Whitman

Seems like something the reporter might have, you know, asked.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ignorance is a defense after all?

7. Dick Whitman

You are conflating two concepts.

Ignorance of the law is typically not a defense.

That's not what I'm talking about here.

Where consent is at issue in a civil, criminal, or court of public opinion case, the man's explanation of why he believes he reasonably perceived consent to have been granted is material to the case.

8. Songbird

9. Dick Whitman

I figured she'd be on her Victory Tour today.

Congratulations on your shitty reporting job, Ms. Kantor.

10. Songbird

11. Songbird

To be fair, she was one of three with bylines.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, they're not thinking about it the way you think about it, that's for sure.

You want a framework for how something can be true without being accurate, I'm giving it to you. That even the people in question wouldn't necessarily acknowledge it doesn't necessarily negate the framework.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.