1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But then I think about all those women - and there were almost certainly more than five - watching him capitalize, and my mood shifts on it. This stuff is hard. Who is redeemable? Who isn’t? Ben Affleck and H.W.? My instinct is an apology suffices for being a grab ass. But I’m not a woman. One whole point of thise exercise is to establish once and for all that grab-assing and dick-flashing isn’t shits and giggles. It’s assaultive.

Who am I, 40-year-old white dude, to decide that penance has been earned?

Hell, Ray Rice never again set foot on an NFL field. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are fighting like hell for Zeke Elliott, and that shit was on tape.

It’s all very hard to sort through.

2. Dick Whitman

I tell myself, “Times were different.”

And then I remember that’s how people rationalize slavery.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rice was near the end of his career, anyway. It sure seemed like teams weren't interested in taking the risk for a relatively limited reward.

Elliott's primary offense wasn't on tape, though I get what you are saying there.

4. Dick Whitman

But what he did was sexual assault, right? On tape.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good question. If I remember correctly, he pulled her top down to expose her breasts, but didn't grab her. I can see how that could be assault rather than just harassment. Defining some of these things does get tricky.

Thing is, the NFL didn't even suspend him for that.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mel Gibson is back. Anyone can come back.

7. Dick Whitman

Brett Favre faced essentially zero consequences for the Jenn Sterger incident other than public ridicule. Wonder how that would play out now?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Let’s ask the espn folks who supposedly sexually harassed her during job interviews.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One thing that seems clear is that the burden of proof has shifted from the accuser to the perpetrator. At least as far as public opinion goes.

10. Dick Whitman

As a general rule, yes. Depends who the accuser and perpetrator are, of course, and who is evaluating. Alabama Republicans would be apt to disagree with you this week.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So, I guess I'm wondering, does this mean that non-victims who falsely accuse will be more easily forgotten now? Is the standard, "Well, I'd rather have too many accusations than not enough?"

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Gawker would be less likely to slut shame Jenn, perhaps, having found moral clarity in bankruptcy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.